Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Dress Choices: Help Needed

As you may or may not know, my company is having a fancy pants holiday party in December. The girls apparently come in party dresses to ball gowns and this leaves me nervous about what the heck I'm going to wear. Mostly all dresses today are sleeveless and under no circumstances will I go without my arms covered. I have found a shrug from David's Bridal that I can purchase for my favorite choices, but want to know what you think:

This is my first choice. It's fun and shaped nicely. It also has that pretty detail on the bottom. I can easily wear it with the shrug below.


This next dress is my 2nd choice and though I love, love, love the red, I'd need to get the black so I could get the cover up.

Here's the final choice. I like it, but it's not as formal, and it feels a little bit "older" to me. However it has that pretty detail on the empire waist and also the bell sleeves. I'd get this one in the red and that's another plus.
All are about the same price, however the first two fall into the "expensive" category b/c of the need for sleeves...so, what do you think? Which one do you think I should get? Don't judge on the models-I don't look anything like them!!

14 comments:

Marilyn said...

I am NOT a person to take style advice from so ANY other opinion holds more weight, but I like the last one because you'd have more opportunities to wear it after the event. I hate having a dress that I never wear again or wear less than once a year.

Plus, you'd look good in it.

katherine. said...

well...I can't see the skirt part of the second one...but the "marilyn monroe" style dress is flattering. (there is a picture of my middle one on my side bar in a similar marroon dress...which I actually made...)

the last one is not as dressy in my opinion...but very pretty and red is a festive holiday color...and less money? thats always a plus.

however the top one is my fave. I think black is timeless. I think the "shrug" works nicely. It could also be worn with white sandals and a white shrug in the summer. The flared hem would be fun and flattering. Black shoes would dress it up.

Lois Grebowski said...

Top one reflects your whimsy...the second one will work well with jewelry (is it A-line like the top one?). Third one does nothing for me.

Melisa said...

I like the top one the best. It's adorable. But I know what you mean about the sleeves vs. cover up. I think you could easily dress up the third one with accessories and a dressy hairstyle.

Rocketstar said...

The first one

Mo said...

Go for #3.
The combination of the bell sleeves, the V neck, and the price point make it the true winner.
I think you'll ROCK the room in it!

Desert Songbird said...

The top one is good for all the reasons Katherine said, but the second (halter-style) one is flattering (even though I can't see the bottom) for full busted women.

Mags said...

I had to chuckle at Desert Songbirds big busted comment...b/c that pretty much steered me away from that dress! LOL!!!

I think I've decided on #1-especially b/c a man said it was the way to go. ;)

Ivanhoe said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with having that pretty red dress AND black cover up with it :o)

Jamie said...

Definitely number one!!

Marilyn said...

Mo is a man..... grin.

crazy working mom said...

I think #3 looks too plain. #1 rocks with the shrug. I can't wait to see you in it.

Travis said...

I like the first picture because I can see LEGS LEGS LEGS and shoes! But I like the style of dress in the second photo better.

TopChamp said...

I like all of them... realise you posted this a wee while ago but still. I actually like the red - it's a great colour and I think you could dress it up or wear it plain making it versatile. However number 1 is very pretty and I'm sure would be flattering.

Actually - re-reading and seeing it's for a FANCY ballgown/partydress party I say 1 too.