Saturday, October 25, 2008

Gettin' Figgy With It...

First, let me tell you how thrilled I am with this photo. To me, it looks like a photo you'd see in a cookbook, and I'm psyched that I'm getting better at photographing my food. It's harder than you'd think, and with the bazillion food blogs that are out there, it's even harder to stack up...

I've always thought that fresh figs were very elegant and pictures of them in food magazines are so pretty. Earlier today at the grocery store I was amazed to see fresh figs on sale! Knowing that I was not going to have any guests this weekend, I bought 2 with the intention of making myself a healthy dessert. (I'm trying to be healthy naturally so I don't have to start the alli program!)

Figs are great-they're just sweet enough to make you want to eat them, but not overly sticky sweet, which makes them great for savory dishes as well. I have several recipes for hor d'oeuvres involving fresh figs and am aching to have a cocktail party or something so I can serve them. Tonight though, my thoughts were on a single serving for one.

This recipe is so super easy, I don't even need to give you measurements. Best of all, there are only 3 ingredients:

Figs
Honey
Goat Cheese (or mascarpone, or yogurt, or a host of other creamy things you like)

Cut the tops off of the figs and make an X to open them up. Place them on a large piece of aluminum foil and drizzle them with honey. Close the foil over the figs and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. When they are done, place the figs on a plate, dollop with goat cheese and pour warm honey over them.

Serve hot or at room temperature. So simple, so pretty, and so delicious!

15 comments:

Marilyn said...

I've never had fresh figs but it does look yummy in your picture.

Thomas said...

That is an excellent pic, Mags. Kudos to you. I gotta remember to get some Fig Newtons the next time I go to the grocery store. It's been a while.

Ivanhoe said...

Never been a big fig fan, but the pic looks delish and I may have to try it one of these days:o)

Melisa said...

Wow, I like your photo alot, too! Sorta makes me want to try a fig!

lala said...

I have never eaten a fig, unless fig newtons count. what do they taste like, anyway?

hope you enjoy a hot salted caramel hot chocolate tomorrow!

Kat said...

That is sooo yummy. I had this in a restaurant once and couldn't get enough of it. Thx for posting the recipe here. Will try that asap.

Lois Grebowski said...

I was drooling over the picture in my reader..

Figs rock! I lurve, lurve, lurve me some figs...

The food styling in your photo is great! Hidden talent?

Clancy in Idaho said...

OOOOoooohhh!!! That is a darned pretty picture. At first glance I thought you took it off a food website! Nice shootin', Tex!

AND... I love love love fresh figs. My mom's cousin lives in St. George and she has a couple fig trees. We were visiting for a few hours and we ate fresh figs off her tree until we were SICK. The goat cheese melted on them looks absolutely DIVINE!

I was telling my friend at lunch the other day what an evil blog you have... torturing all us non-chefs with your tantalizing food pics!!! Ahhh... it's painful, but don't stop!!! They are so pretty and I'm sure my imaginings don't even come close to the real taste! ;)

the teach said...

Mags, a great photo of figs! I'm sure they taste good too! Thanks for commenting on my grand-nephew's b-day party! :)

Jamie said...

Beautiful photo and I love figs and feta. BTW, you do know that food in photographs almost always have horrid, inedible and often poisonous things done to them in order to get the photograph. Real food doesn't respond well to reflectors and bright lights.

Jamie said...

Here is a good "how to" blog for photographing food

FRIGGA said...

Oh man that sounds really good! I love Feta cheese too!! :-0...

Oh, and I agree, that's a great picture! considering how very difficult it is to take pictures of food. I suggest having really good lighting (not your flash) and tripod for the camera. :)

Mo said...

The photo is great!
I've never had fresh figs either.
(But I love fig newtons!)
:)

crazy working mom said...

I don't like Fig Newtons, so I am thinking that I don't like figs, but this is the only way I can say for sure. The photo is amazing, and I must say that I have tried photographing food before and it is very difficult!

Kathy said...

Yum! These would make great party hors d'oeuvres!