Friday, October 03, 2008

Computer Woes

My computer's at it again. After re-installing (and losing all of my stuff) the operating system two weeks ago I came home last night to a black screen with the words "Missing Operating System" on it.

Great.

I went through the motions of re-installing it again, only to get an error message. This sucked more than you'd know, because it meant I had to call Dell and Dude, that's not fun. But I hunkered down with all of the tools needed and dialed. This time, I got a man-which is easier for me to understand for some reason. (Their call centers are in India.) After 45 minutes of him telling me to do the same thing over and over and over, I finally snapped. I asked if the computer was still under warranty which he confirmed. So I tried finding out how I could send it off to get looked at. After all, a computer shouldn't spit out an operating system twice in two weeks. He told me I couldn't do that. In fact, he told me that we had to keep working on the phone. And this is when I really got angry.

At some point he asked me to get screw drivers and to take the computer apart. I did follow his instructions only because they were just the two little trap doors on the bottom and I knew that I couldn't damage anything-but when he couldn't tell me what I was looking at, I flipped. I yelled at him and told him that he couldn't help me and that someone reading a script to me over the phone wasn't helping. I added that he asked me to do the same thing 3 times and couldn't remember which worked. Then I yelled at him for not knowing what he was doing when he asked me to open my computer.

*sigh*

I don't know what to do. I suppose I'll need to pay lots of money to have someone fix it-but first, I'm going to ask my computer friend here at work for help. Cross your fingers for me. If I'm not around on nights and weekends, you'll know why. :(

5 comments:

Brian in Mpls said...

That sucks:( Hopefully they will be able to fix it at your office

Ivanhoe said...

Did you buy it on-line? If not, I'd just go to the store where you purchased it from. Good luck, Mags. I know computer trouble is no fun.

Lois Grebowski said...

Computer issues are not fun, especially when dealing with overseas call centers... P's me off...

Rocketstar said...

Damn that sucks, sorry mags

Marilyn said...

I hope your work friend can figure it out. I hate when the call center people don't know anything.