Saturday, October 11, 2008

Busy Girl, Grown Up Room

I don't know if anyone is out there but...

I am very proud of myself today. I woke up early (not by choice) and couldn't stay still. I completely ripped my apartment apart. I found 3 boxes in my hall closet (which acts as my attic) that I hadn't unpacked when I moved in! One of the boxes included a bunch of books that I haven't read yet-score!

I moved all of my non-professional cook books into my living room. I always hated these cubby holes in my living room because they are uneven. They're pretty deep so today I decided to see how much crap I could hide up there! I have so many pans for cakes and pies it's hard to find a place for it all. Enter deep annoying cubby holes. I hid 2 sets of china, all of my serving platters, my pasta maker and 4 specialty cake pans. Now my "attic" is cleaner and I have more room in my kitchen. AND I hid it all behind my cookbooks, so you can't see it at all.

After I was done with the closets I moved into my bedroom. Now, I've been thinking recently that my apartment, though nice, doesn't look like a grown ups apartment-and for the most part, I'm ok with that b/c I don't feel like a full fledged grown up even though I am. BUT I did want my bedroom to have a nicer feel and since I have no money, I had to work with what I had.

A couple of weeks ago I painted a rectangle on the wall behind my bed because I don't have a headboard and needed to "anchor" the bed. My plan is to trim it out and make it nicer-but for now I took 3 round wicker-ish place mats and spaced them out evenly. After that, I moved my round table and used it as my nightstand. The one I had before was just a piece of crap from Target and I hated it. Add a lamp, 4 sheer white panels that were in storage and voila! A semi-grown up room.

I still want to find a new comforter but for now, I like it. I should have taken a before picture, because I realize this isn't a fabulous room-but it's much better than it was before. I can't wait to go in there later to read!

Now all I need to do is find artwork for the walls (I hate the picture I have in there now), get a ficus tree or something and work on the living room a little more.

I was very busy today!

12 comments:

lala said...

Wow Mags-- I love your room! It looks really great... And what makes it better is that you were so creative, using stuff you had rather than buying new stuff! That really is awesome. :) :)

Lois Grebowski said...

Now I dig that headboard treatment!
We don't have a headboard. I just can't seem to find bedroom furniture I like...That is a most excellent solution!

Thomas said...

A bonus weekend update from Mags? It just don't get any better than this! Hope you have a good day tomorrow as well!

Marilyn said...

I hope this means you're feeling better.

It does look very nice and grown-up.

silverneurotic said...

Well, when I finally settle into my own apartment-I'll know who to turn to when I have questions about decorating!

www.silverneurotic.weebly.com

Carole said...

Wow, very nice! I love the idea of painting a "headboard" on - I don't have a "real" headboard either... And that's AWESOME that you did this all with what you already had so you didn't spend any money - way to go! :-)

Kurt said...

WOW - Your place looks amazing!

Linda said...

Would you like to come down and straighten out my house for me? I have neither the time or the energy it seems because I am spending all of my freakin' time at work again lately!

I have always thought you had a lovely apartment but I love what you did with those cubbies and using them as sneaky storage space! Honestly, I'm not sure how you get anything in your kitchen ... which is more like a walk-in closet!

Your bedroom looks lovely! It's funny how I've never actually seen it in real life, though! You've always had the door closed when I was up there!

Mo said...

I love the placemats on the painted headboard idea!
Way cool.
Sometimes you can find those fake ficus trees at a deal, but most of the time they're expensive. I have a cheap one that I dressed up with some cheap white christmas lites on a timer, and use it as my night light in the entryway!
Oh, and I thought your deep cubbies were cool by the way - I love built-ins! Now, just don't forget what you have stashed up there!!! (Because that's totally something I would do!)
Hope you have a nice Sunday.
love,
mo

Mrs. OrioleGal9 said...

I L-O-V-E It! How creative, I need to do something with our bedroom as well and I just might steal your idea and tweak it a bit to make it my own!

FRIGGA said...

Ooh I love it! I don't have a headboard... maybe that's part of my problem of how immature my room looks. Only, I rent, so I can't do any painting...

I think you did a fabulous job! :)

Travis said...

I think you did a bang up job! Well done!