Thursday, September 11, 2008

Above & Beyond

I love my job. You know this. And I love 98% of the people who work here.

The other 2%...well...I could do without. It's not that I dislike them, really, it's just that they aren't great-some are kind of boring, others are mean and one is fake. But overall, it is a fantastic place to work and the people here are amazing.

Sometimes, though I wonder about how people get away with doing only what is asked of them. It's like they have a copy of their job descriptions in front of them at all times and are only willing to do only those tasks sighted in them. Who does that anymore? I guess because I've always been the type of person who is willing to go above and beyond (probably b/c of my Disney days-the time, not the class...wait, none of you know about that class.)

I've gotten off track.

What kind of worker are you? Do you go above and beyond or do you follow the outlines given to you closely and rarely go off track? Do you go the extra mile when no one is looking or only when you'll be rewarded?

There's a person here who is mean and grumpy until the bosses are around. Then she's bubbly and engaging. It makes me quite angry because if any of were ever to say anything about her attitude, we'd probably look like fools.

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

I think I was a pretty good employee and I know I worked longer hours than anybody but I always hated management. I may have trouble paying my bills but I don't have to take constant snarkiness and meanness anymore.

Still, I think I'll be back in the workplace someday. That makes me sad but I like knowing I can pay my bills.

Linda said...

I'm just going to hazard a guess here and say that I tend to go above and beyond. I always have believed that if you're going to do something, do it to the best of your ability or don't do it at all. Must be the Virgo in me!

Thomas said...

I go above and beyond for others as long as it doesn't put me behind in my required tasks.

crazy working mom said...

I think that I'm an above average worker indeed. My bosses always had high praise for me.

Travis said...

My job requires a lot of different tasks and interactions with numerous departments. I wouldn't be able to give you a specific job description, so there's no way I could get away with behaving like "that's not my job". It might very well be my job.

silverneurotic said...

I think I go well beyond what's expected of me at my current job. Sadly, I work with lots of people that aren't willing to take that extra step for anyone so a lot of responsibilty then lands on the very few that will step up.