Sunday, August 03, 2008

Weekend...OK

I feel like I cooked a lot this weekend...and that I didn't do much of anything else. I slept in Saturday which was nice, because I haven't been able to do that in a while. For some reason on the weekends I've been waking up early and am not able to fall back asleep, so...the lazy morning was a good change. However, Saturday was really gross here with threats of really bad storms, so I hunkered down and watched a couple of movies, read and took a nap. I felt really lazy, and at the end of the day, felt sad that I hadn't spoken to one single person all day.

Red Currant Muffins-I've tried really hard to like the way these berries taste-I just can't do it. They taste like the "poisonous" red berries on the bush we had when I was little. They look the same too. I think I'll just stick to using them to decorate platters...

Quiche. What else can I say, but yum?

Today I woke up a little earlier, but still later than when I have to work. Yesterday I found out that because I have a certain bank, I get into a few local museums for free once a month. Now, lots of museums around here have free days, but they are usually on Wednesday's and Thursday's and to be honest, sometimes I just don't feel like going through the trouble after work. So I was psyched that today was one of my free days at the MFA. I've never been, so I hopped on the T and made my way.

When I got there, I was still excited-it's been a while since I've been to any museum and I love art. It fascinates me to look at the brush strokes knowing that someone long ago painted them...I always think about how maybe there's a stray hair embedded in the paint (gross, I know, but still neat). It amazes me that someone who was "ordinary" painted these things without even knowing that hundreds of years later, we'd be staring at it on a lonely Sunday afternoon.

I quickly became disappointed though, I'm sad to say. I roamed around and say lots of Impressionist paintings (most of which I've seen before) and some American paintings-but after that I seemed to be roaming around in galleries I had no interest in seeing. If I had more time, I would have been ok with the jars and jugs and random plates-but I only had a couple of hours, and wanted to see hardcore paintings. I must have gone through 5 or 6 galleries that were completely empty. I know this isn't the case, but it felt like the museum was in the process of moving. It was very disappointing. I tried asking 2 guides where I could find certain things, but both of them were so interested in each other, I just walked away.

I don't know why, but today I found it funny that his name is Vincent.

Plus, museums and malls give me headaches. I don't know what it is-it's not the volume-because the museums are quiet. I don't know, but within 1/2 hour I had a really horrible headache. So I decided to call it an early day and to go get lunch. Well...mother nature opened the skies just as I was crossing the street-I got as far as Northeastern University and had to run into the Qdoba-a place I don't like-to stay dry and to wait out the rain.

When I finally got home, I was in bad shape-so I turned on my ac in my bedroom, closed the blinds and layed down. I ended up sleeping for 2 hours and woke up with the headache still in full swing.
I spoke only a few words this whole weekend: "I'm a BOA customer" and "A chicken burrito with cheese please." I don't know why this makes me sad that I didn't talk to many people at all-it just does. But overall, it was an OK weekend, and I'm glad I got to spend it cooking and getting into a museum for free!

13 comments:

crazy working mom said...

It seems like usually when I'm given the opportunity to sleep in I always wake up early and can't. :(

I'm glad you had a lazy weekend. I wish I could have. *sigh*

Hope you have a beautiful week, Mags!

katherine. said...

I've had days when I didn't speak to anyone...it is kinda said...and kinda peaceful.

Callie Ann said...

I want to wake up on vacation for an hour or so and then go back to sleep Ahhhhh what a pleasant sleep.. Don't make that current crap on vacation just saying LOL

Callie Ann said...

p.s I love cranberry/orange muffins.. oh yummy can ya taste em...

Mo said...

Sorry about the headache...
Getting into museums free is cool!

I only talked to the cats since 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon... I didn't even leave the building.
So saying "a burrito with cheese" sounds good to me!

Clancy in Idaho said...

I long for days where I don't say anything to anyone. The grass is always greener, huh? Sorry it made you sad.

I never thought about the name Vincent and then, my sister picked that name for her son who is now almost 2. I thought it was a weird name, but then names always grow on you once you know the person. *or else they make you hate the name forever... ;)

Amazing Gracie said...

I'm sorry you didn't get to talk with a friend today...I'm such a loner that days go by that the only people I talk to are my critters and hubman!
~~~Just a thought - your headaches...you said you get them in museums? I wonderful if it has anything to do with the lighting? I went to a car show once in an indoor arena and the lights on the chrome gave me a doozie of a migraine.
You know I've never even eaten a current! Guess I'm not missing much, huh? (I think you're talking about Piracantha bushes - and that's strictly phonetic spelling!
~~~Blessings~~~

mauniejames3 said...

Oh my gosh mags...I love the MFA but I guess they were not showing any one artist when you went..
Did you wear headphones...they always give me a terrible headache..
Hope your much better today...lots of time I WISH I didn't have to speak to anyone...(big smile)

Rocketstar said...

Mmmmhhh quiche

Lois Grebowski said...

Those red currants look yucky. Now they make a good jelly, but like you, they remind me of poisonous berries.

Now the quiche? YUM!

Ivanhoe said...

I grew up on currant - red & black so I like it.
Quiche on the other hand, I never had a courage to try :o)

Travis said...

Mmmmmm...Qdoba is one of my favorite places to eat! Yum-OH!

I remember when we were in NYC a few years ago. Instead of visiting The Met, we went to the Guggenheim because it was trendy. The problem was that there were no paintings in it...just a really weird exhibit that we didn't understand.

And then The Met was closed on our last day in the city and we didn't get to see the good paintings.

Danielle A. said...

I heart the MFA. I'm sorry you got a headache though, that stinks. :(

Next time you want to hit a local museum, let me know. I'm always up for it (unless homework is ruling my life like it is this week...).