Thursday, August 07, 2008

Rainy Thursday in Boston

Last night I finally sucked it up and took some sleeping pills. I usually only use them if it's the last resort, but since I've had headaches a lot this week and have been sleeping poorly, I thought it was a good idea to try to nip that in the bud. (What does that mean anyway? Stop the flower from growing?) I took the pills at 9:30 so that I had plenty of time between then and the morning for it to wear off-there's nothing worse than being groggy from sleep meds the next day. Well, at 3:30am I woke up and was WIDE awake. It didn't help that my crappy ass neighbor was having a spirited conversation with someone. At some point I did manage to fall asleep again and woke up before the alarm went off. Thankfully, I am not groggy. So all in all, it was a successful night for me. :)

The other day one of my coworkers asked me how to cook scallops. I explained that they are very easy to cook and that I'd look for a recipe for him. During one of my sleepless nights I picked up one of my cookbooks. While I was looking for the best recipe I could share, I had a great thought-I could start a cooking club at my work! So yesterday I pitched the idea to a couple of people here and got some great feedback. They helped me come up with an initial list of people who might be interested and I emailed them all. The thought is that we'd all pitch in $5-$10 a month and we'd have a cooking lesson and dinner. We'd rotate bringing wine to go along with it, and we'd just have a nice time. Not everyone responded-I think some of them are waiting to see if others join b/c I'm new and they don't know me well-but I have gotten about 6 or 7 yes' so I'm psyched.

This got me thinking that I could try to market myself again for these parties. I put it out there when I was in CT and got a couple of small dinner party jobs, but I didn't really work hard to get my name out. My business site is up just not perfected-so I'm going to work tonight thru Saturday (Sunday I have a family party to go to in CT) to get it working. Cross your fingers!

PS. If anyone knows how I switch the background to the body of the post on my blog (the part that is white) I'd appreciate if you'd share the info. I've tried a couple of things and it's just not working...it's not for this blog-it's for my site. Thanks!

17 comments:

Lois Grebowski said...

Supper club sounds fun! If I were nearby I'd join...

I was up at 3:30.. you should have called me!

Clancy in Idaho said...

Congrats on your cool club! I'm with Lois. We'd be two more members if you weren't so darned far away! :)

Glad you didn't have medicine head this morning. That is one of my least favorite feelings in the world.

Marilyn said...

Sleep meds always make me feel yucky, except for valarian. I'm glad you woke up feeling okay.

Your club sounds like fun.

Callie Ann said...

here is my negative side. Don't be surprised if some crap out on you. Seems the rule is if you invite 10 peeps 3 will show... I know you know what I speak of.

Nothing seems to be working to knock my stupid ass out. I just keep waking up everyday. Dang.

Rocketstar said...

Have you tried exercise to try to cure the headaches? That's usually my first answer to any bodily ailment.

Mo said...

Valerian works for me, too - but you have to take it about an hour before you go to bed (with warm water I find it works faster)... but it puts me into a deep sleep. You can get it anywhere that sells herbal supplements, like Rite Aid.

When I lived in Cinci (pre-Lee) I belonged to a Wednesday Night Supper Club - each week, we'd go to a different person's house for dinner. Nothing too fancy, just dinner with friends. Rotating the meals made it affordable for everyone, and got to try some new things.

Bond said...

Sounds like fun. Is your other blog also on blogger and is it full of widget thingies?

I think for that you need to add a background as if you were putting an image there. I am better in an html world...

If it is in html, look at your code and near the top you should see:

/* ---( page defaults )--- */

body {
background-color: #cccccc;
background-image: ;
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
font-family:"Trebuchet MS", Trebuchet, monospace;
color: #000000;
}

Add the color code you want where it says background color

Not sure it makes sense or will help, but there ya go

Linda said...

I want to work with you so I can join in! That sounds like a really good time!

I'd hire you to do a dinner party if I had anyone I wanted to invite over and you were closer. I think you should go for it!

mauniejames3 said...

that sounds awesome Mags...you love to cook and most of us love to eat...super...as for the people in work...give them a chance I'm sure they won't let you down..
sometimes I want to hit my self in the head with a hammer to get some sleep...

WillThink4Wine said...

I would love a dinner club! If I ever move back to Boston you can count on me!!

For many years I belonged to the Wine Tasters Guild and we had 2-3 tastings a month and 1 wine pairing. It was one of my most favorite things. Then 2 -1/2 years ago I moved from Florida to Georgia - apparently they don't do Wine Tasters Guilds here in the buckle of the Bible belt. :sigh:

Mags said...

Lois: Aw man! I could have used a phone call too-I could have gotten back my neighbor!! :)

Clancy: YOU'RE too far away! ;)

Marilyn: It's too bad you don't live here-we could use someone to make good bread.

Callie: You speak the truth.

Rocket: Not when I get these bad headaches-it's hard to keep your eyes open when that happens.

Mo: I can see myself getting burned by the rotate the dinner thing-that's why I'm getting $$ up front!


Bond: Thank you! I figured it out and it is indeed what you said.

Linda: Well, I would drive to CT to cater a dinner for you if you are ever in need of one. :)

WT4W: Lots of people said the same thing-if you all move here, we'd have one heck of a time! AND we'd be sure to have good wine if you were there.

silverneurotic said...

The cooking club sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully you'll get a few more members and really get it off the ground.

Amazing Gracie said...

You can't lose by trying and it might work into something - think of the friends you'll make, too!
Good luck!
~~~Blessings~~~

Erik said...

Hmmm... After reading Linda's comment and your reply, I think if you ever do come down to cook for her, you need to have a fireman there (wink,wink)... Just in case there's a malfunction with the stove or something!! Ha-ha-ha.. Have a great weekend Mags!!

Star8278 said...

Must be something going around. I have not slept through an entire night for a week. For no reason that I can think of...

have a great weekend.

Travis said...

A cooking club sounds like a great idea, not only to enjoy great food and conversation, but also to promote your passion for cooking and get rolling as a caterer.

crazy working mom said...

The recipe club sounds like an awesome idea. I hope it works out for you. :)