Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Prix Fix Fi Fo Fum

So...I got really lost tonight. I hosted a dinner at a restaurant I've wanted to try for a really long time and getting there involved 3 trains, or 1 train and a long walk. Had I known the way to get there on foot, I would have gone with option 2. But I didn't, so I followed the directions on the MBTA webstite. Bad Move.

I ended up getting off and walking a few blocks thinking I'd catch a cab-but quickly realized that traffic was too horrible. So back I went into the T station to find my way-the right way. Mind you, I am in dress shoes and it's hot. AND I have 3 strangers waiting for me. Luckily one of them called me as I was stepping into the street and she guided me to the restaurant. I would have gotten so totally lost again...

The meal was...ok. I was disappointed because it's supposed to be a good restaurant and I've wanted to go for so long. My "salad" was the best thing I had. I don't know what was in the dipping sauce, but it was quite tasty. The rest is just fried calamari and some onions. This was another appetizer-tuna tartar. I took the picture because the size of the plate was ridiculous. The tables were very small and this plate just was so big. Not good planning on the part of the restaurant. I'm told it was good, however.
This was my meal. If you can't tell what it is-because of the huge amount of sauce all over it-it's supposed to be lamb chops, medium rare. At first, I was served skirt steak. After telling them I did not order skirt steak, I was given this mess-which was not hot and was over cooked. I didn't say anything though, because at this point, we'd been waiting a long time. The service sucked.
When I say it sucked, I mean...it SUCKED. We got there at 6:30 and didn't get our check until 8:45. This isn't because we were lingering. We were waiting. It took 45 minutes to get our desserts! And I had to ASK for them. Then we finally get them, finish them and have the plates taken away and the waitress asked if we wanted coffee. I couldn't help it-I gave her a crazy-eyed look and said..."Um...no. We've been done with dessert for a while now. Just the check please."

She forgot to give one girl her dessert wine (she did a wine tasting thing w/ each course) and brought it out after dessert. It was just a mess. But overall, it was fun and the food didn't suck, so it was ok. Not worth the $$ though and I won't go back, so that's disappointing. It was a nice night and we got to sit outside, which was nice, and so overall, the night was good.

On the way back to the T I snapped this photo. It's an old church that's been converted to apartments. It's quite beautiful and when I learn how to use this new camera, I'll go take a better picture.

And now, I am going to sleep...stay tuned for a Thursday 13 tomorrow-13 things I heard on the T on the way home tonight!

8 comments:

Callie Ann said...

LOL your description of dinner reminded me of an episode from Hell's Kitchen... Did ya see Ramsey yelling at anyone?

Callie Ann said...

Wow I just noticed I was on the Jabber Jaw list how the hell did that happen?

Mo said...

I think the reconverted church is the best thing about your dinner.
I'm with CallieAnn - Gordon Ramsay would have been telling that restaurant to get rid of the pretentious plates and serve good food.
And four green beans and three ping pong balls - what kind of a side dish is that???

Clancy in Idaho said...

LOL to Mo! Those plates were absolutely ridiculous! Sorry the restaurant didn't exactly pan out...

Glad you made it a fun night anyway! Good job!

Kai said...

I would have died laughing if my dinner ever came on plates like those - too funny!

I love me some good calamari - hope it was good?

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

i'm glad you got to go though...

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

Rocketstar said...

What a drag, this makes you really relish a good greasy cheeseburger and fries...

Travis said...

At least there was good company.