Sunday, August 24, 2008

I Done Dipped

I think there's some sort of hex on my apartment. Saturday morning when I woke up I began making the rest of the dips and dippers for the party. I started by putting on my double boiler so I could melt the chocolate for the strawberries, pound cake and marshmallows. The weirdest thing happened-instead of melting smoothly, the chips became grainy and fudge-like. (Which is ironic, because remember, I can't make fudge!) After about 45 minutes I added a little milk to the mix and it loosened up and melted, but it kept solidifying before I could dip everything. The only thing I can think of is that it was a weird batch of chocolate-but it was 2 different bags!

Even though it's risky, I used all new recipes (minus the marshmallows) for this party-this included the soft pretzels. Now, I have a very good soft pretzel recipe from school and have successfully made them outside of school. However, I could not locate the recipe earlier so I search for a new one. This turned out to be a fatal error.

I figured that I would proof the dough here at home, divide it out and boil it. All I'd have to do at Danielle's would be to put the in the egg wash and bake them. Well...about 5 minutes into my drive to her house, I noticed that the boiled pretzel bites were growing. About 1/2 to her house they had doubled in size and by the time I arrived they were at least 3 X's the size as they were when I left Boston. They looked puffy and disfigured and also a little bubbly-not smooth like the other recipe. Deep down I knew it wasn't going to work, but I still went ahead and baked them off-with no success. Thanks to Danielle's husband Steve who ran out to get me French Bread to use as a dipper because I threw the pretzels away. Never again will I stray from my old pretzel recipe.

The other weird thing was the cheddar beer fondue. It wouldn't set. We kept whisking it and whisking it but it just kept being a big lump of cheese swimming in beer. I asked Steve to also pick me up some shredded cheddar cheese so I could seed the base fondue mixture with it, in hopes that it would all come together. I did, finally, but not as smoothly as I would have liked. I don't think the recipe had enough flour in it (to bind it better) and the cheese may have had too little fat. I'll try the recipe again buy I'll play with it next time. The flavor was yummy though.

I also tried an infused oil dipping sauce for fried green plantains. It was OK. The recipe called for too much oil-next time I will reduce that to about 1/2, add more lime juice, salt and pepper and keep the cilantro the same. It'll be thicker and more flavorful instead of just an oily flavorless bowl of grossness. Kimberly did eat it, which made me happy, but everyone else stayed away.

My favorite dip was a roasted red pepper dip. I could have eaten the entire thing, but I got way too full. It's creme cheese, roasted reds, parsley, loads of garlic and lime juice with salt and pepper. Delicious. I'm going to make this again on Wednesday for my supper club.

I also made a buffalo chicken dip which was ok. I got compliments on it, but I think it could have been better. I will add cheese on top of it next time to make it one level better, and I think that'll cut the blue cheese taste a bit.

Served with French Fries I had Rosemary Mayo, Wasabi Horseradish Mustard and Curry Ketchup-which was the favorite. All of the fries were gone and all of those dips were tried, so that was good.

Overall, I'm rather disappointed in the dips. I was so excited about the party and thought these recipes would be fantastic, but really they were not. The hard part was that I was not at my house-Danielle graciously allowed me into her home to use her kitchen and to host the party there (since my apartment is so tiny). Had I been home, I think I could have tweeked them a bit more (because I had leftover ingredients and stuff here) and had a more successful party. But I think that for the most part, everyone liked most of the food and no one (except maybe Nina) went hungry.

And now, I pray I can sleep. I'm working off of 4 hours in the last 2 days. My head hurts. Maybe that's a good sign...

12 comments:

Amazing Gracie said...

Maybe your neighbor put a spell on your apartment. I'm sorry you don't feel everything was up to par but I bet it was all delicious! I love the sound of the pepper dip. Are you going to post it? If not, please e-mail me a copy - if you don't mind...
~~~Blessings~~~

Lois Grebowski said...

Oh, sorry some of the stuff didn't turn out. That red pepper dip sounds wonderful!

Danielle A. said...

Oh stop it! :P The cilantro-lime dip was good and I had it on some plantains. :) But then I remembered there was cheddar and beer there, and considering it was my diet cheating day - I went for what felt less healthy. ;) It was a great dinner and I think you did a great job!!! :)

Danielle A. said...

Oh stop it! :P The cilantro-lime dip was good and I had it on some plantains. :) But then I remembered there was cheddar and beer there, and considering it was my diet cheating day - I went for what felt less healthy. ;) It was a great dinner and I think you did a great job!!! :)

Callie Ann said...

I am sorry you weren't totally thrilled. I hate it when things go so so.
I am beginning to think a lot of us bloggers don't sleep well. I sure notice a lot of us up late lately. I have been so upset with this not sleeping. Seems I am on a cussing rage and I don't even have that one terrett's syndrome where you can cuss at a seconds notice.. dang

WillThink4Wine said...

Well, I'm often disappointed when trying new recipes. But it sure doesn't stop me from trying! Keep the good, toss the bad. Onward! I could never manage on so little sleep, so I sure hope you sleep well!

Linda said...

Well, sounds to me like Danielle loved it regardless of the little things here and there that you would have liked to have gone better.

I had to laugh while reading about the curse of the growing pretzels as you drove to Danielle's house because I could just picture them growing bigger and bigger and bigger until they finally encompassed you inside of your small car as you rolled down the windows in an attempt to make more room and escape!

Hope you were able to get some sleep. I had a hell of a time dragging my behind out of bed this morning as even though I woke up initially at 8:30, I ended up sleeping on and off again until 10:30 before I felt guilty enough to hoist myself out of bed. Maybe you should try sleeping on your couch if nothing else works? I know for a fact it's a great place to get a great sleep!

Palm Springs Savant said...

hmmm at first I was going to say the chocolate may have been exposed to heat previously ad the fats separated, but then I read on about the cheese...my guess is that yes, your apartment has a hex on it Mags! ;-)

Lois Grebowski said...

Hope the detox works!

crazy working mom said...

I'm sure that I would've loved it!!!

I'd take the leftovers for sure.

Mo said...

I'll bet everyone had a fabu time, and wish I had some of your dips right now!

Marilyn said...

Wow, I'm sorry it didn't work out like you'd planned but it does sound like everybody had a good time.