Friday, August 01, 2008

Green-Red-Red-Green

Last night I went to a play in Cambridge with a few of girls from work. I went back and forth about going-mainly because of money. Even though it was only $15, money is still tight and rent is due today...I figured that I would skimp somewhere else until my next check and that $15 is worth a night out with new people. Plus, it was one of my coworkers play (he produced it).

The play was amazing. No. Wait. AMAZING. The talent I saw on that stage just blew me away. Truly-I've seen many Broadway shows and tons of theater and operas and those actors on the tiny, hot, community theater stage were phenomenal. I'm not afraid to say that at the end, I got a little misty-eyed. (I usually do: Has to do with knowing how proud the feel at the end of a show, from experience.)

I also enjoyed not getting lost. As you remember, Cambridge is my nemesis. Not for long though, as I feel like I will be exploring it much more in the near future. The down side, of course, is having to take 2 lines home...the red and the green.

The red line has nicer trains-wider and more spacious, no weird funky 2 level layouts like the green line. But...there are also alot of weirdo's on the red line-late at night, that is. So if the trains are very empty, I feel a little more vulnerable than I would if I were on the green line. That being said, the green line (at least my train) is always packed with the younger generation.

Last night, 5 guys and a girl got on at Boylston. They had beer keg cups in their hands and were drinking them without caring that they shouldn't be. It was pretty obvious that they weren't drinking milk in those cups and I think some of the older people on the train were a little upset about it. In fact, one old guy told the group that they were going the wrong way if they were trying to get to Kenmore (which they were). But they weren't going the wrong way.

It wasn't even a funny joke. But it's funny because the guys got all angry because they knew they'd been lied to! One of them said, "He's just mad because he isn't having fun anymore."

Huh. You know what, kid...you're probably right. Which is sad. Maybe he was just having a bad day, or maybe he just likes to see younger kids respecting the law. If that's the case, I don't see anything wrong with it, but really-he should find some better jokes.

And what is it about college aged boys? Dressed in their dirty jeans and button down striped shirts they get so cocky. They're probably all really nice guys when they are alone-but when in a pack-they are dicks. There was a girl sitting in the middle of the steps who at first glance, just looked tired. But after a few minutes, you could tell that she was either drugged or drunk. I'm going with drugged because of the way she was spaced out-but no one got up to give her a seat, which I think is weird. Can you not see that she clearly needs to sit more than you? I'm not sure she would have taken the offer, but it would have been nice to see someone ask.

When it was time for her to get off of the train, she stumbled down with her big bag (it looked like she had just come home from traveling) and knelt down on the sidewalk. Her head was touching the pavement and she just looked like she so obviously needed help-but no one seemed to care. One girl did slow down and ask if she needed help, but when she got no answer, she moved on. Just as I was about to hop out, the doors shut and we left. I'm still wondering if I should have called the police, or if I should have walked back to where she was. I'm worried that the wrong kind of person tried to help her and she's in more trouble than she was before...

I wish people-girls in particular-wouldn't put themselves in that kind of danger.

10 comments:

Melisa said...

Sad about the girl. Hopefully she's okay.

Re: the amazing play? I have seen many Broadway shows that have been totally fabulous also; one of the best plays I have ever seen though was, oddly enough, a production of "Fiddler on the Roof" put on by a local CATHOLIC high school. :) It really was Broadway-caliber. Amazing!

Lois Grebowski said...

Hope that girl is okay. I can't believe the guys didn't offer a seat. How rude!

Nothing beats a phenomenal performance.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

i feel sorry for that girl but am sure she is an addict and wouldn't take the help. i have seen this so much! it's not just girls either. but honey this is not something you should be dealing with, just stay on the train and go home, k???

ly, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Ivanhoe said...

Subway could be dangerous. Specialy late at night. Just be careful, Mags.

Linda said...

First off, kudos to you for having the compassion to want to help another human being. One of the things they teach us in emergency medical dispatching and EMS overall is that "sometimes a drunk is not a drunk" and there could be other underlying medical issues. Diabetes in particular can make people seem out of it and either drunk or stoned when, in fact, their blood glucose levels are either dangerously high or dangerously low. Based on the fact that this girl was carrying a big bag which you thought indicated perhaps she had been traveling, I might have questioned the whole drunk/stoned thing myself and wondered if there was something else wrong.

Would I have done something? Honestly, I don't know. You live in a big city with a lot of scary people and I'm not sure I would have had the courage to do something myself. With my background, though, chances are real good I might have called 911 and let the police or EMS people handle it - as that's what they're trained to do. Of course, she might have been gone by the time they got there but if she was head to the pavement when you last saw here, I don't think she was going anywhere too fast. Whatever the problem was, I hope she ended up okay even if she was stoned.

Now, as for those other idiots you were on the train with ... you are absolutely right about boys who travel in packs being complete and total dicks who act like they are king of the world. I bet they don't act like that around their parents but it's "cool" to be that way in public. The driver should have tossed them all out at the next stop but I suppose there are rules against that sort of thing.

I'm glad you got home safe - be careful up there, okay?

Callie Ann said...

yeah be careful... I live in the country. So please don't put me on a bus, train or anything like that by myself. I would probably freak out. I am not kidding. weirdo's scare the crap out of me sometimes.

crazy working mom said...

Well, I am glad you went out but sorry it ended on such a sour note.

mauniejames3 said...

Please mags be very careful on the trains and buses at night...if you have to go alone take a cab..seriously if you can't, stay home...the Boston trains scare me to death..daughter in law number one were and I were coming back from a concert one night and some little punks tried to hold us up...thank heaven two older men came over and one intamated he had a gun...scared me to death.

Mags said...

Thanks for all of the "be careful" comments. I am really careful about where I end up late at night-in fact, I don't stay out past 11pm or so when I'm by myself. My area is fairly safe at that time as there are tons of people around...and earlier someone commented on me walking alone in the park-I do walk alone simply because I don't have anyone to walk with, but I only go there during the day, or when there are hoards of people around, like the play in the park.

Thanks for looking out for me.

As for the girl-I do wish I had stopped. It was one stop before mine-one I sometimes get off and walk, so it wasn't far, and it's a public area. I don't think that just because she was out of means she's an addict-in fact, quite the opposite. I live pretty much right next to a college and most are just kids having a "good time" or those who don't yet know their limit...

mauniejames3 said...

Yup the girl was kind of sorry ass and it could have been anything..
also there are lot's of traps in Boston like NY...just sayen...just please be careful....