Monday, August 11, 2008

Going For The Gold

My room wasn't very big-in fact, I had to share it with my little sister and with bunk beds, a desk, a TV, a huge dresser and lots and lots of toys, it was down right small. But that didn't stop Camille, Amy and I from pretending we were in the Olympics. We were gymnasts.

It was the first time I remember watching the Olympics, though I am sure that I'd seen them before. I, like almost every other little girl, was obsessed with Mary Lou Retton and tried like heck to emulate her in every way.

We'd clear as much of the room as we could, piling things on the top bunk so we'd have more "mat". Just like all floor exercises, we began in the far corner of the room and somersaulted diagonally and danced our precise routines in hopes of the perfect 10. If we were lucky, my mother let us into her large blue carpeted room (with air conditioning) where we could expand our individual programs and add a little flair. We could do this for hours, and often times, we did.

For the most part, there were no injuries, which is quite amazing considering our crowded surroundings. Each one of us did manage to bash an ankle or a leg into the hardwood dresser during a wild cartwheel or rogue somersault. In attempting a tricky bouncing start (using my parent's queen bed as the springboard) Camille (the tallest of us all) hit her hand on the fast moving ceiling fan. None of us won a metal that night-my mother made us stop before we could qualify.

As an adult watching gymnastics this year, I find myself remembering those late nights with friends spent imitating young athletes who were brave enough to follow their dreams, and strong enough to make the sacrifices needed to get there.

11 comments:

Ivanhoe said...

The memories... We did that, too. Except we were in the backyard on the grass :o)

mauniejames3 said...

We were going to win the swimming or diving...we would practice at my friends camp, on the lake...we would start by running down the rocky path and dive into the lake...we also used the raft for other dives..we were so sure we would make it...ah youth

Bond said...

Cute memories...we all have them in some shape or form...

C-Unit said...

I actually remember you taking the top mattress off the bunk beds and trying to do flips on the frame.

Mo said...

My best memories of the Olympics - Greg Lougainis diving, when I was in college.

Lisa said...

My sister and I would use our swing set as our one-bar, non parallel bar. She was the youngest and shortest, so I had to lift her up. I'm surprised neither of us broke our necks.

Marilyn said...

Wow. I remember doing that. I wanted to be short and graceful so badly. Instead, a cartwheel was a death defying stunt. Still is, really. I tried to do cartwheels with the my niece and daughter at the forth of July celebration a couple of years ago and nearly killed myself.

Travis said...

That's a great story! I think lots of little girls will be emulating Shawn Johnson and Nastia Lyukin after these games.

crazy working mom said...

OMG, my sister and I did the same things when we were young girls. We'd play "circus" too. I can't believe we never broke any bones! *LOL*

Liz said...

Great memories and a well written post. Thanks for sharing Maggie!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharring importent information in this blog.
It was very nice.
Aşk flashları,yazılı soruları'new generation portal.