Sunday, August 17, 2008

Around Town

Today one of my best friends came to visit me in Boston! Though it was a little hotter than we would have liked, it was overall a nice day. Thanks for coming to visit me Megan!!

We started the day by taking advantage of Boston's Restaurant Week. For $22 we could get a 3 course mean-which typically would cost a lot more. For a starter I had Rouleaux: Cambodian spring rolls filled with ground pork, crushed peanuts, shredded carrots and minced onions; served with fresh lettuce, mint, Asian basil and bean sprouts for wrapping; tuk trey for dipping. They were tasty. Megan had a salad with walnuts and gorgonzola. She said it was delicious, and she cleared the plate. For lunch, these were our picks:

Caramelized beef with lettuce cups and vermicelli noodles....I tasted the beef and it was YUMMY! Below, shrimp Napoleons with butter and wine and scallions. A little strange, but delicious.Dessert for Megan was chocolate mouse cake and for me a passion fruit mouse-it was tart, but very good. The "dish" was made of butterscotch brittle-tasty as well.The restaurant was comfortable and airy and though we were seated very close to other diners, we didn't feel like we had to whisper to keep our conversation private. The service was good, not great-but there were no complaints...until we went to leave. Since both of us only had a $20 and a $10, we asked the server to break one of the tens so we could make change and leave a tip. Simple, right? Well, when we received the change, the server had taken it upon himself to give himself a tip and give us back only $8! This meant he had about a 25% tip. Because we weren't in the mood to really argue and it wasn't really a big enough deal to ask him back to the table, we left...

And he followed.

"Excuse me ladies, I don't mean to be rude, but-did you plan on leaving a tip?"

I am still baffled that he followed us outside and ASKED us for a tip. I'm just blown away. I'm even more blown away because he TOOK his tip! So my friends said, "Yeah, it's the $10 you kept." He quickly backpedaled and said he thought we left a different amount-whatever dude. Whatever.

Still baffled.

After going back home to change my shoes we headed downtown to check out a festival in the North End. What's better on a hot day in "Little Italy" than fresh gelato? Not much, so we indulged...

The festival was neat to see-lots of descendants of the original Italian "settlers" of the area selling LOTS of meat and LOTS of cannoli. I think it would be a fun place to go on a Friday or Saturday night.

Walking around the festival was hard work! So what are two girls to do? Go have drinks in a somewhat empty bar, of course! After being wooed into getting a margarita (that was VERY strong) I had a beer and called it a day. I have to admit, that margarita gave me a headache that I still have now.

I love having visitors, but having Megan visit was especially fun as we always laugh a lot and we both love to eat. :) Also, she's one of the only people on this earth who understands (and in most cases, shares) my quirks! Thanks again Megan-I had a great time and it was awesome to see you!!

Now...onto Monday. Ick.

16 comments:

crazy working mom said...

They did that here too, well not in my town but in Little Rock. We didn't get a chance to make it, but there were some awesome restaurants on the list! Glad you got to go enjoy!

Linda said...

He chased you out of the restaurant? Are you kidding me? Wow! The nerve of some people!

Other than that it sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful time and if your weather up there was like ours down here then it must have been beautiful!

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

I think the waiter was pretty nervy. Just saying.

You know us bloggers just love to photograph our food. Have you noticed that? Bwahahahahahaha. I love it and the food looks wonderful.

I'm glad you had a great time with Megan. Have a great week. :)

Janna said...

That chocolate mousse cake is calling my name.
And it's saying WONDERFUL things.

I want it.

The waiter had some nerve, taking a 25% tip for himself, and then asking you for more.

I have to ask, what's tuk trey? What did it taste like? What's in it?

Travis said...

Cheeky bastard of a waiter. Good for your friend to speak up and let him know you're not stupid.

The food looked delicious.

Danielle A. said...

That food looks absolutely delish and Steve would be jealous of the "LOTS of cannoli". :) I'm glad that you guys had a great weekend!! :)

Lois Grebowski said...

Sounds like a great day...All the food looks really good.

Those beef tips looks extry savory....Yummy, too! LOL!

Ivanhoe said...

Oh my, food pics on Monday morning when I'm hungry like a wolf :o)
We have La Gelateria here and the hazelnut and lemon flavors are my faves.

Anonymous said...

I find it funny that you thanked me twice for coming up for a visit. I should be thanking you twice. I had fun, had food, had laughs, had pizza, had gelato, had cocktails... geeze, I should be thanking you more than twice. You are always so cordial and so accomodating and so patient with my lack of how things work in the big city. I had a great day!

Megan

Mo said...

I would have marched back into the restaurant and asked to speak to the manager.
For starters, if he can't make change he shouldn't be a server.
And they should NEVER ask for a tip - but to chase you out onto the sidewalk?
I would be calling the manager today and talking to them.

Glad you had a nice time with Megan, though!

FRIGGA said...

That chocolate looks yummy! And I get so mad at rude waiters like that. I tend to tip well, but a tip is just that A TIP. Not owed, but something extra for the extra effort - and I never feel bad about not leaving a tip when I get rude service. :-0

Bond said...

I would definitely have followed him back inside and asked to see the manager with him standing right there...The nerve of his trying to scam you for another tip...

Amazing Gracie said...

What a jerk! We had a 100% different experience with a waiter at dinner and we stiffed him. We were all yakking and having fun and when we got back on the road, we realized we hadn't left him a tip! And he was SO good, especially helping out with the baby. So, my daughter is going to drive back out to the restaurant, find out who he was and leave him a terrific tip!!! We all felt like idiots.
Glad you had fun overall.
~~~Blessings~~~

Marilyn said...

Ever since I saw Roman Holiday I've wanted to try gelato.

Kat said...

Mmmh if that food tasted only half as good as it looked then mmmh. Seriously that looks amazing.

Glad you had a wonderful time with your friend. We had friends come visit us as a surprise and it made me soooo happy.

Have a great Tuesday (as usual late commenting)

Desert Songbird said...

Good food and good laughs - sounds like a winner of a weekend.