Sunday, July 13, 2008

No Name, No Problem!

This weekend I was lucky enough to be taken on an adventure. Ok, it wasn't really much of an adventure, but it certainly was new to me and therefore, exciting! I went to No Name Restaurant.

No Name is an out of the way seafood restaurant with no frills or fancy cloth napkins. In fact, the menus are printed on paper and pitchers of water sit on every table...right along side the Dixie cups. The tables are close together. But you know what? It's just the way it should be.

I'd read that the waitstaff was surly and that there was a chance they might be unshaven. The food got mixed reviews. Someone said they were mad that there was no chowder and another said it was great...so I went into this place with no expectations-which really, is a great way to walk into a restaurant.

I've been to many a clam shack and seafood dives in my life. No Name is neither. What it is, is a wonderful little gem with colorful characters (our waiter was quite animated and friendly) and good food. The seafood chowder was very flavorful and packed with fish-something you almost never see. The fried fish platters (you almost HAVE to order it in this place) are piled high with crispy shrimp, scallops and oysters (YUM) along with fries, coleslaw and tartar sauce.

Though it's a little out of the way, I would recommend a trip to any of you who live in the area. If you like fresh seafood served by colorful, entertaining people (who have worked there for a bazillion years) with little to no frills, you definitely should check this out. If you have visited before and didn't care for it, I challenge you to give it another try. This time, see it for what it is-not for what it is not. I guarantee that with that attitude, you'll find yourself as happy as a clam.

12 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

sounds wonderful to me!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxooxo

crazy working mom said...

Sounds delicious to me. I'd tag along for a bite or two. :)

Clancy in Idaho said...

Groovy baby! I haven't EVER been to a clam shack or really any other sort of seafood place. Never even a Red Lobster! (Hey, I grew up in Utah, don't hold it against me!) I guess we did eat at the Maui Fish Market in Paia almost everyday two years ago, but I was in MAUI! If, by chance, I'm ever in the Boston area I will definitely visit this place! {if I can only remember the name!!! ;)}

Amazing Gracie said...

I love little out-of-the-way dives! Just like I don't like chain restaurants (as a rule). Our favorite Mexican restaurant here in town is in an alley! And it's not a place you would take your visiting relatives to without advance warning.
I've been reading one of Bourdain's books and I've learned one thing: Don't eat the fist on Monday!
~~~Blessings~~~

Amazing Gracie said...

Uh, make that FISH. Durnit.

Anonymous said...

Scramblers och IR (IR tech) för att läsa av datorn program, barnporr och annat skit (tex tele/modem program för avlyssning , senare)
- Norska kungahuset
http://www.monarkin.blogspot.com/
- utländska experter
- stort och effektivt internationellt engagemang
- högres traff inte minst sexbrott; MRI specifikt, förhörsmetoder och prevention (sexköp; 2-3 straffvärden)
- stärka allmänningarna, kommunal mark (prövas i länsrätt och framtida kommunalt bruksvärde: bostäder, industri, byggnation, service, skola/utb/experimentarium etc)
- SSAB och statlig gruvmark (bruks - och strategiskt värde)
- Government - Corporation Cooperation stärka gränsyta, gemensama projekt, utbildning/forskning, nationellt-strategiskt värde, nytta och kreativitet

http://www.silobreaker.com/

http://www.physorg.com/

http://www.iop.org/

http://strikeforcevetansvarreligionen.blogspot.com/

http://scienceblogs.com/gnxp/2008/07/americans_are_scientific_geniu.php?utm_source=readerspicks&utm_medium=link

Brian in Mpls said...

I love trying out little shit hole places:)

Ivanhoe said...

Not a seafood lover, but the place sounds great. I like discovering new eateries like that...

Mo said...

Sounds like a great place to me!
Make me nostalgic for Izzy's Clam Shack on a cold October day, with a lovely young lady by my side...

Travis said...

Nice review. I'm not really a seafood fan, but I think I'd have to try that place just for all the things that it's not.

Lois Grebowski said...

Sounds like the great mashopingo clam shack... on the chesapeake....

Mags said...

It was quite yummy...I enjoyed myself 110%.