Monday, July 14, 2008

Manic Monday: Bug

Monday's are MoMoLicious! Visit Morgen for more Manic Monday Tales!


I went to kindergarten in both New York and Connecticut. We moved to CT in the winter, and so I had to say goodbye to all of my little friends (and my beloved family) to face a foreign new world. (Hey, to a little kid, going from the city to the "country" is a big scary thing!)

Though I remember their faces and in some cases, what they wore or liked to eat, I do not remember the names of the friends I left behind. (Except for a boy named Judd who's head was very large for a kid his age, and who ate something squishy on our field trip to the Catskill Game Farm...I know this because he had to hold my hand in line and I thought it was icky.)

I remember a boy who I considered my boyfriend-a small fragile kid who always wore a yellow shirt. He had deep brown eyes and always made sure he put his mat next to mine at nap time...

A girl whose curly blond hair was so short it stuck out in all directions-she wore a dark green dress with white flowers on it a lot. She read at a 3rd graders level even though we were in kindergarten, but when the teacher told her to "put some elbow grease into it" she literally rubbed her elbow into the picture she was drawing and therefore, got crayons all over her dress.

And then, my best friend. I want to call her Heidi, but somehow I know in my heart that this is not her name. It's probably the name she used when we were playing house or dress up. I only went to her house once, and all I remember is that I sat on the brown sofa while her parents sat on the floor. We were playing a board game-Strawberry Shortcake-and we didn't get to finish because my mom came to pick me up early.

One day, "Heidi" didn't come to school...and days and days went by and still, she did not return. My little heart was breaking because I thought that she left without saying goodbye-but then our teacher told us that Heidi was very sick and had to go to the hospital; she had a BUG in her tummy.

Now, I'm certain that our teacher did not tell us this, but I distinctly remember her explaining that a worm had come out of Heidi's belly button. I was horrified. I was worried that because I played with her on the playground all of the time that I, too, would get the BUG and a worm would come out of my belly button too. Of course that never happened, but I was very worried for a little while.

Heidi returned to school a few weeks later. She was skinnier than she used to be, and she didn't like playing as much as she did before. I don't remember much about her after this, which leads me to believe that while she was away, I became better friends with the others still left at school. And then we moved away.

Luckily, to this day, I still have not seen the worm and I pray I never will!

11 comments:

Clancy in Idaho said...

LOL! Lucky that bug didn't get into you. I'd hate to hear the story about it coming out of your belly button!

I played Manic Monday too... how can you resist when the word is BUG! ;)

Thomas said...

I know one bug you wouldn't mind being exposed to one day: The LOVE bug!!

Hopefully, this will happen during the next President's administration, either Obama's or McSame's.

Mo said...

Um, I'm kinda glad you didn't doodle the belly button worm there, Mags...

Jamie said...

The worms crawl in
The Worms crawl Out
The Worms play pinochle on your snout.

See what you made me remember!!! Nice story.

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

We just believe so many things when we are little. I'm betting you were kind of afraid to play with her after she came back to school. Well maybe. Have a great day Mags. Big hug. :)

crazy working mom said...

Wow, such vivid memories you have Mags! Great story. I'm glad your friend got rid of her worms and you didn't have to see 'em. :)

Travis said...

I love your descriptions of little kids that you can't quite remember, despite how much you want to remember them. That charm minimized the ick factor of the bug.

Happy MM!

WillThink4Wine said...

This story could lead nicely into tomorrow's Space Doodle...

Lois Grebowski said...

I went to Kindergarten in connecticut, too! I lived in Darien for a year...

Linda said...

I've got to agree with Mo on this one - thanks for not doodling that bug!

Mags said...

Yeah...I'm glad I avoided the "bug" in my belly. And, you're welcome for not doodling it! (Although, now I want to try!)

Lois-I didn't know you went to K in CT. How interesting! Where did you go after that?

I'm glad you all liked my memories. :) It's nice to have such a great readership.