Thursday, June 12, 2008

Shopping Rant

Yesterday after work I went shopping for Father's Day.  I got my Dad something that I think he'll like and my Mom will hate.  Which, I think, will make my Dad like them even more.  But this is not the point of the story.  The point of this story is that I am sick and tired of stores neglecting their plus size women's departments.
 
And this is going to sound rude-but for those of you who have never struggled with your weight-please don't come back with comments about how we should lose weight or how the majority of people buying clothing aren't big-or whatever.  My mother is skinny and has been her entire life.  She sometimes says things that come off as insensitive, but I think it's more of an ignorance thing-she's never known the feeling of walking into a room and being the biggest person there.  Or worrying about finding clothing that fits AND looks good.
 
Onto my rant.  Department stores that do not specialize in plus size clothing (such as Lane Bryant) seem to not care about women who have a little junk in their trunk.  I say this because when I shop for clothes I am either stuck in a tiny corner of the store (like at Target) or made to rifle through messy piles of clothes that have been thrown on the floor or jammed into racks (like at Kohls).  It's frustrating to enter a store knowing that your shopping experience is going to suck and that even without any human contact, the plus sized woman is going to feel like a less important consumer.
 
Here's a pet peeve of mine.  Stores tend to move the clearance section INTO the women's department instead of keeping it in the ladies department.  So not only do we have to deal with a small section of clothing (as opposed to a whole side of the store full of ladies clothes) we now have to deal with racks of clothes shoved into our space-clothes that we can't buy.  What are they trying to accomplish?  Are they trying to say, "Hey you-big girl-see what you could have if you just lost 20 pounds?"
 
People who are overweight usually know it.  This is something that I think some people don't get.  They somehow think that by telling someone they need to lose weight will open their eyes and the heavy person will have a moment of enlightenment and all will be right with the world.  Uh...sorry.  We know we're bigger than you.  In fact-almost everything that surrounds us tells us that.
 
But anyway-my point is that it's discouraging to see major stores neglect a portion of their customers simply because we don't fit into the magazine/tv perception of what beautiful is.  What's even more discouraging-the "big and tall" section in the men's department is tidy and clean.  It's usually just our section that ends up looking like a train wreck.*
 
*I'm talking about overall-not during a major sale or some crazy promotional time-all sections get like that at some point, I know.  But on a whole, the women's department is messy and cramped and stuffed with clearance clothing from another department.

8 comments:

Star8278 said...

Amen, Sister.
I have noticed a steady decline in Women's departments in a lot of stores. Our local Old Navy even DISCONTINUED their line for 14+. Now you can only buy from them online. That's just ignorant, it's like saying we don't want to see your fat butt's in our stores, so shop from home. Well, it's for that very reason that I now boycott that store.

My favorites are LB, Avenue & Kohl's. But it seems Kohl's prices have gone up and their selection has gone down.

Asara Dragoness said...

Amen.
I love Lane Bryant, I just wish their stuff wasn't so expensive! It's hard when I want to look nice every day and I have to drop over $100 for one outfit. That means I don't want to wear it to work, because work is messy, which means I just spent $100 on something I will wear maybe once a month. Not a good investment on my part.

I can't believe that about Old Navy, that's wrong on so many levels.. I'm never shopping there again either.

Clancy in Idaho said...

Sorry about that. Sounds so frustrating! Reminds me of me and my bra shopping experiences.

katherine. said...

I've seen a trend in large chains to decrease all of their special sections...juniors, petites, and woman's.

I think it is a sign of the economic times...in all areas not just clothing...

mauniejames3 said...

When I was larger I was very frustrated....Marshalls and TJX seemed to me to have a nice amount of things over size l4...That was about a year ago..I haven't been lately..I have a problem with bathing suits...I need a larger sized bra and a smaller bottem..and cannot wear a two piece...any suggestions?

Mo said...

'the "big and tall" section in the men's department is tidy and clean'...

I've never found THAT to be true... must be one helluva difference between New England and the Midwest!
99% of our stores don't even have a "big and tall" section.
I ordered my summer wardrobe online for the first time this year, and was pleasantly surprised. No skinny ass salesperson glancing down their nose at you, no frustration at your size not on the rack, and no wandering a department store trying to find the non-existent hefty dude corral.

But I've worked retail clothing before, and YES you're exactly right - that is the first section they move the clearance racks into!

Danielle A. said...

I am SO with you on this. To echo what I said earlier today... my problem is compounded by the fact that I'm also short. Not just a chubs, but a short chubs. Most stores think that big girls are tall... which, I'm 5'3" and a size 18. Blah to that crap. Unless it's a skirt or jeans I have a wicked hard time finding flattering clothing. :P

Amazing Gracie said...

I know first hand what you're talking about. I lost the majority of my weight by '02 but it was bad then, too. I am sick of the "food police," and the idiots who want to charge heavy people more for snack stuff to shame them into losing weight! Egads!!! When everyone went crazy about smokers, it was enough to almost make me start smoking again!
I must say I don't want to gain back 100# but I cannot stand the "holier-than-thou" skinny twits who think they're so much better than us. I noticed that I was treated 100% better after my weight loss. All of a sudden, I became a real person and not a fat freak. I hate this world....
But love you...
~~~Blessings~~~