Wednesday, June 04, 2008

New Beginnings-Again

Living in the city, as you can imagine, is expensive, and while you could argue that I should live outside in the suburbs to save money, I would tell you that it's worth it to live here. I want the entire experience of city living and that includes, well, living in the city. In any case, I'm broke.

When I moved here in November I got a job north of Boston. It's a good job with nice people and great hours. My boss is a dream. It's also 42 miles round trip. AND I have to pay a toll each way. These were things I was willing to do though, because I liked the new place and the commute isn't bad.

Then gas started being $4/gallon. Now, it costs me about $50 a week just to get to work and it's severely eating into my paycheck.

I am happy to report that yesterday I accepted a position with a consulting firm that is only 1.5 miles away from my house. It's a 35 hour per week position and it's a bump up in pay too. In one week I will drive less than I drive in one day now. That's amazing to me, and it translates into a potential savings of $6000 per year.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited. I'm hoping that with the extra cashola I'll be able to save some money to travel and invest. Admittedly I am not that great with money, but I'm taking this as a new start and plan on being more responsible and less carefree.

New beginnings...gotta love 'em.

16 comments:

Clancy in Idaho said...

That's fantastic! Congratulations. I'm so jealous. We are having a really hard time finding a new job for my hubby who drives about 60 miles roundtrip everyday. We feel your pain. Well, your old pain that is. Hooray for you!

Mags said...

Thanks Clancy!!

katherine. said...

sounds like a great new beginning...making more money...and more time to blog (or cook)...smile.

Bond said...

congrats

PEOPLE GOT TO BE FREE

crazy working mom said...

Congrats and best of luck, Mags. :)

Kat said...

That is great news. I am so happy for you Mags. We just bought a new, really small car to save us money on our trips which is totally gonna be huge savings next year.

Here's to new beginnings.

Ivanhoe said...

Congrats Mags! I loved living in the city! Hopefully, I'll be able to say soon: "I have a new job, too".

Rocketstar said...

That's awesome, what will you be doing?

Mags said...

Thanks everyone! I'm very excited actually-this is going to be great b/c it'll free up more time and hopefully let me save (or at least pay bills without sweating!)

It's an administrative position supporting 2 principles of a consulting firm. There's a chance I'll also get 1 of the partners as well. Nothing too crazy-just an office job to pay the bills, 9-5 M-F.

I'll focus more on my catering business now-try to get referrals, start networking (once my site is up to date) and hopefully get that off the ground again.

Lois Grebowski said...

YAY Maggie! That sounds just wonderful!!!!

Linda said...

I was wondering how long it would be before people got to hear the good news about your bump in pay and shorter drive to get it.

I think this is going to be an excellent move for you and that it will open all kinds of doors for you. More time to work on attaining your dream job of being a chef or the most wanted caterer in Boston!

I just hope that the nice people at your other job understood why you needed a change. Sometimes it's hard to let a good employee go.

Marilyn said...

Yay! I hope you like the new one as much as the old one too.

Kai said...

Congrats Mags! I think you made a wise decision - even though you loved the other job, the expenses to get yourself there seem like way too much!

I'm sure they'll understand - ya gotta do whatcha gotta do, right?

Melisa said...

Congratulations! That's great news!

And besides the obvious money you'll save, you'll suddenly have a bunch of time opened up in front of you, so you can enjoy your city even more! :)

Travis said...

Congrats Mags! Fewer work hours plus less commute time, with more money! Woooooooooooo!

Not only can you enjoy your new city more, but there will be more time to cook!

Danielle A. said...

We'll miss you at your current job, but like I told you - you gotta live! I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure this will be great. :) (And... hopefully your catering biz will pick up too!).