Friday, June 06, 2008

Mean Girl

For some reason, I was invited to be a part of the cool group that year.  It meant a few things:
 
1.  I would be allowed to talk to Jeannie.
2.  I would be allowed to wear my acid washed jean mini skirt on Friday's with the rest of the cool girls.
3.  I would be invited to the random parties the cool kids had at their houses.
 
Jeannie was a mean girl with expensive clothes (Guess Jeans and Coca Cola Rugby Shirts.)  Her mother owned a beauty salon so Jeannie had a perm.  (It was cool back then, trust me.)  Instead of dotting the "I" in her name, she made a little circle.  She owned a horse.
 
She was the ring leader and the girl who got to choose who was in-and who was out.  I never really liked her.
 
At recess we had to do whatever she wanted to do-even if that meant standing on the sidelines watching everyone play.  If we laughed at a joke that someone who wasn't cool told, we'd get the silent treatment and if we word pants on skirt day, we were shunned for at least a week.  I don't know why we thought she was so awesome and looking back, I don't think she knew why either.
 
On the last day of 6th grade I was fed up.  With the promise of new friends on the horizon (we merged with 3 other towns for 7th-12th grade) my courage was high.  I wore a skirt to school (it wasn't even Friday) and told my best friend what the plan was.  She was moving away, so she really didn't care.  When the bell rang, I strutted up to Jeannie and told her everything.  She took my verbal beating with a straight face and when I was done, she smirked and said, "Have a nice summer (insert some mean word that I can't remember)" and walked away.  I don't think we ever spoke another word to each other.
 
In high school I had a lot of friends but wasn't technically popular.  I was an overachiever and had my hand in lots of different groups and it allowed me to meet an array of people.  Jeannie, however, only had a few.  Her decline began somewhere around 8th grade when she started smoking and skipping school.  By 10th grade she was a pothead and our senior year she over-dosed on cocaine.  She lived, but she disappeared after that.
 
Though I don't think a friendship would have lasted between us, I do sometimes wonder what she would have turned out like had we continued hanging out.  I was rigidly against drinking and doing drugs and was pretty much looked at as a "goody-goody".  Had Jeannie been a nicer person when we were little, I wonder if other members of our group would have reached out to intervene when they saw her spiraling down the drug path.  I wonder if she would have graduated high school with us, or if she would have had a better life today.
 
I see her every now and then-she lives down the street from my parents-right next door to where she used to live when we were growing up.  She has a son with one of the local bad boys in town (or at least he was when we were little) and from what I gather, hasn't really changed all that much.  The drugs might be gone, but she's still mean.
 
I bet she doesn't have any friends today either.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

O comments on this post?! WTF(udge)? Oh, well. There's one now.