Tuesday, June 24, 2008

First Day!

As you all know, today was my first day at my new job. My hours are M-F 9-5 with an hour for lunch. That's a pretty sweet deal-except I usually like to be out earlier. I am not, however, a morning person, so being able to sleep each morning until 7:30/8:00 is fantastic. This morning I woke up at 7:30 and actually made myself breakfast and coffee. That hasn't happened in...well, never. I'm always eating in the car on the way to the office. This is going to be great!

This morning I walked around with a coworker and was introduced to all of the nice people. After that, I attended my welcome breakfast! Yup-they had bagels and quiche and fruit and coffee (and granola and yogurt) brought in for all of us so everyone could come and meet me! Isn't that fantastic?!?! I thought so...

My desk is way cool too-the best part about it is that the lighting is very low. I get really bad headaches from bright fluorescent lights and I often ask the maintenance people to take a few bulbs out over my desk. (And it's still too bright). Well, this place is perfect!! Plus, we have windows on all sides of the building so we have a cool view no matter where we look. Did I mention that I have free parking in a garage across the street? No more burning my hands on the steering wheel or (in the winter) brushing off the snow that built up while I was at work.

We have fun day on Friday. Because I was sitting with the office manager today, I found out that we're having breakfast at the Hard Rock downtown then having a scavenger hunt all over the city. The ending location is on the Common where we'll be able to do whatever we want-sit and read, play wiffle ball, eat free food and drink free drinks...whatever. After that we'll go back to the office and disperse to our homes. We'll meet up again an hour later at one of the partners houses for a party. They have a pool and hot tub (which I won't be going in) a home theater (which I'll have to check out for my dad) and lots of food and drink. I'm going to be one of the only people there without a date, so I'm a tiny bit nervous, but I'll survive.

Most of the people are about my age and so far, 2 of the girls seem to really like me (and I like them too). I think this was a good move on my part-but only time will tell for sure.

Thanks for all of the good luck wishes today!!

13 comments:

Clancy in Idaho said...

Ooohhh! Can I work there too? That sounds like one big ball of moral booster! What a cool place to work. I am thrilled for you that you get to 1)eat breakfast at your house, 2)anticipate headache-free work environment, 3)have an awesome non-work filled day planned during your first week and 4)already have 2 potential friends!

I am so happy for you. That seriously made my night brighter to read this post! :)

Take care

Sparky Duck said...

Sounds like a pretty cushy start!

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

how is the internet??? ha ha ha

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Linda said...

That settles it, I need to move to Boston and get a job there - that place sounds absolutely perfect!

When you were talking about the scavenger hunt around Boston I immediately started thinking about all of the people that were running around while I was up there that Saturday and picturing you doing the same! Just don't wear a Thing 1 or Thing 2 costume even though you'd like great in a blue wig!

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

What a great first day. I'm so happy for you. I hope this position is everything you want. Just have fun. :)

crazy working mom said...

I am so excited for you and I can't wait to hear more!!! THIS is so awesome. :)

I am STILL lovin' this new template too.

Mags said...

:) Linda...we DO have to wear silly things. Not as crazy as wigs and stuff, but we will look funny. :)

Danielle A. said...

That's awesome! I'm so glad that things seem to be going well already. What an awesome place to work this sounds like... YAY! I hope that things stay in this positive direction.

P.S. - Can I have your windows... I miss windows...

Ivanhoe said...

That is so awesome, Mags! Good for you! I'm sure you won't have a problem making new friends. And where can I get a job like that? ... Boston, a-ha :o)

Rocketstar said...

That is great Mags! Yeah, I usually jump onto my desk and twist a couple of those fluorescent lights off.

Mo said...

Wow, sounds like an awesome first day!
And a great company to work for!
Sounds like this was a positive move for you for SO many reasons - I'm so glad you had the courage to make the change!

I, too, have the flourescent bulbs above my desk "out" by the way.

Desert Songbird said...

Dang! That sounds like one cush job!

Travis said...

Is there actual work done at this new job? LOL!

Sounds great so far!