Saturday, June 28, 2008

FD: Part 2

Last night was both nerve racking and fun. Nerve racking because there were no planned games like during the day, so everyone was free to group together with friends and not mingle and fun because after a little while, I was sitting with people who were nice.

When I first arrived, there were only a handful of people there. I didn't feel comfortable with most of them yet and none of my "safe" people had arrived. So instead of staying outside where most of the people were, I went into the living room and sat with a girl and her husband and young son. Which was fine. But also a little weird.

The host's house had a very nice in the ground pool and the little boy naturally wanted to go out to see it. I started to feel nervous at this point. Luckily, on the way out I passed the "juice" bar and got myself a nice glass of sangria.

Outside I spotted my manager standing next to a man who I've talked to a few times so I walked over to them and said hi. After a few minutes my boss walked away and I was left with this man. It was awkward because he's a bit shy. And he was visibly nervous. And his jokes weren't really funny which made me feel a little nervous. So I did what any girl in my position would do-I excused myself and went to the bathroom.

Somehow when I came out the rest of the clan arrived and I stuck near 2 girls who've been extra nice to me. At one point though, I was left alone with just their boyfriends/husbands and that, yet again, was weird. There were plenty of drinks to go around and this is what led to me having fun.

No, I didn't get drunk at all. But I did have a little too much to drink for my liking in the beginning of the party. I went to sit with a few people by the pool and luckily more people came over, and all in all, it was a nice time. I met and hung out with a few new people who I work with and got to know their personalities. I learned that 2 of the girls live within a block of me, which might be nice once we get to know each other better.

Oh, and my team WON the scavenger hunt! I have to admit that I didn't have much to do with it because 3 of my team mates answered all of the questions before we even started-but it was fun anyway.

So there you go-I survived FD and I have to say that at this moment in time I am 100% happy that I made this move to this new company, close to home. :)

Have a great Saturday everyone!

7 comments:

crazy working mom said...

Well, if nothing else it has helped you to get to know others in the company outside of the work environment. I think this is a lovely idea and I am so happy that you're enjoying this new company already!

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

How fun Mags. Have a great weekend too. :)

Claire said...

You have serious balls, I think its cool that you went and I am sure you will be making some good friends at the new job :)

I love the layout by the way, I couldn't see it reading through your feed :)

By the way, every time I read your blog, I get even more excited about staying with you! woot :)

Travis said...

It's always tough to mix and mingle socially with new co-workers. I'm sure you'll end up fitting in quite nicely.

Congratulations on your first week!

Melisa said...

Sounds fun!

And I echo everything Travis said; I'm just too lazy to type it. :)

Mo said...

You do have some serious cahunas ~ I admire your tenacity, going it alone in the big city!
You rock!

Lois Grebowski said...

Congrats on winning the scavenger hunt!

:-D)