Friday, May 02, 2008

Chaffer

It never ceases to amaze me how many people try to take food out of the chaffing dish that is specifically turned around so they can't do so. Really. It's crazy. Do they think it's a special test to see who's worthy of eating the food inside? Like if they can somehow secure the stuff they'll win a free meal? I don't get it.


What baffles me even more is that I am always standing right next to said chaffing dish. I'm literally standing right where it opens and yet they still try to reach in to grab the food! Not only am I standing right there, I am always cooking the stuff that goes with it. For instance, when we make pulled pork tacos I am cooking the tortillas, piling on the slaw and saucing it...


Are people really that clueless when it comes to a buffet? Or is it just in general that people try to get something extra wherever they go? If it wouldn't affect my job there I would love to ask the next stupid person why exactly they felt the need to reach over the buffet line to try to open a chaffer whose handle is turned in the opposite direction from where they are standing.


And you know what's funny? Every time they ask what's in there and I explain that it's the meat for what I'm cooking or the raw version of what they'll eat, they seem surprised!


Really people...bring your brain with you when you're out in public.


Thank you.


*****
Seen written on an exit sign at the T Station:


Abraham Lincoln is upset with all of the unrest.


And then...


If the power of love was greater than the love of power, this world would be a better place...


Amen sister, Amen...


(It was very girly writing.)

11 comments:

Palm Springs Savant said...

People never cease to amaze me with stuff like that. I swear, some people think that rules and such apply to everyone but themselves. arrggghh.

oh btw. I am a bad blogger friend. I was in Boston yesterday and forgot to tell you. We could have at least met for coffee. I had dinner last night at a steak house in Fanuil Hall ...I miss Boston

Anonymous said...

Having worked in the food service industry for many years, I too have witnessed the behaviors you're talking about. I've determined that buffets are just too much for people to handle. Most people heap their plates as if it's the last meal they'll ever eat. Then when they're done overflowing their plates they say "What is this"? and "What is that"? They just took 6 portions of something and they don't even know what it is?!?! 75% of the food then gets thrown in the garbage. And there is no concern for whether the guy at the end of the line got any food at all. It's sad. I've seen it 1000 times.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

i hate buffets. i seriously don't know what to do sometimes. i avoid them like the plague because i am one of the clueless people. well, that and the germs on the spoon handles! ha ha ha

at our club i get a waiter to fix my plate for me if there is nothing other than a buffet, they don't mind and i tip good. a big smile and thank you helps too.

so don't be TOO hard on them, we are clueless sometimes y'all.

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

Buffett's to most people mean that everything out is fair game. It doesn't matter where on the buffett it's located, if it's food, it's there to be taken.

Brian in Mpls said...

I am really worried now because I have no idea what a chaffing dish is and how to eat a buffet.

Clancy in Idaho said...

Weird phenomenon! I'll have to be sure to pay attention to the direction of the handle at future buffets!!! :) I do love your little comments that you slip in like, "Really people...bring your brain with you when you're out in public." LOL!

And, yes... that is me with the short hair on my blog. :)

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

Well, this is all so simple for you...you are the trained professional. The rest of us don't know what to do half the time. I'm with Empress Bee, I don't care for buffets much either. Too many folks (customers) who didn't wash their hands messing with the food. Kind of turns me off. Have a great day and weekend Mags. :)

Julie said...

People either love buffets or hate 'em. I love them...cautiously.

Great quote there at the end Mags. Did you pen it?

Palm Springs Savant said...

btw- I just posted s few of my photos from my visit to Boston...wish I had more time to have seen you. Maybe next time!

Mags said...

I'm not hard on them in person. I would never make a customer feel stupid for not knowing where things are on a buffet.

And yeah, I'm a chef. But I've also been eating buffets since I was a kid, and something tells me these people have too...when there's no way to OPEN a dish, I pretty much assume I'm not supposed to open it. :)

katherine. said...

some people are stupid.