Sunday, April 20, 2008

News

Friday I was met by the sous chef as soon as I punched in. He ushered me out of the kitchen while saying, "We have to talk." He proceeded to walk me upstairs while telling me that I am no longer going to be working in suites.

Why? Supposedly it is because of my schedule. The very schedule that made him say, "You'll be perfect for suites!" in the interview stage. The real why? Because I mentioned that I didn't like how sexist that kitchen was. When I brought that up the sous chef while he was ushering me upstairs, he told me not to "take it personally".

Um...ok.

So, now I work in a different kitchen, with a different chef and different customers. I was holding back tears Friday when it happened, because there was no discussion, no asking if I was ok with it. And I was embarrassed a little bit too. But the people in my new kitchen are very nice. Very nice. Right away 2 of them came out to the line and asked if I was going to be with them now...they were excited when I told them yes.

After two days of working there, I think I'll like it. Like I said, the people are 100% nicer. The only thing is, I'm not really doing anything in the kitchen. I'm just cooking food for the buffet out front. So I'm not really learning anything, but at least it's money and at least the people here are friendlier and more helpful.

So, that's it. Because I am a woman and more because I have a big mouth I am no longer in the swanky suites. Who would have thought that this company would be so discriminatory?

16 comments:

Linda said...

Gee, they aren't kidding when they refer to baseball as "The Boys of Summer" and apparently it's not just the boys on the field who have a club but all of the ones that work in the ballpark, too.

It stinks that they moved you without so much as a "by your leave" but it's great that you have found new friends in your new kitchen. Perhaps this really is the start of something good and is a blessing in disguise. At least that's what I'm hoping for in a rather uncharacteristic glass half-full attitude!

Hang in there, Mags, I'm sure you'll blow them all away and you'll be running the place in no time flat!

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

well buggers on them! politics everywhere huh? well i hope you LOVE the new place...

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

C-Unit said...

Did you get the video I sent you? "It was in his contract not to complain if people spit on him! Take your effort and play the game hard." Unfortunately it is a game and sometimes you have to take crap to get ahead. Once your ahead you can spit on them and see how far they make it! I doubt I could follow that advise but it does make sense!

crazy working mom said...

Well, I like to think that everything happens for a reason and I feel that this situation (albeit stinky) is not any different than any other! You'll make something great out of this bummer of a situation, I just know it!!! :)

♥ to you, my dear.

Asara Dragoness said...

Pardon my saying so, but that's a bunch of bull. Maybe I'm jaded by my own experience, but just to up and move you without even talking to you about it first, that's just completely rude. And to make up such a stupid reason for it too.. I'd be fuming. At least say, hey, we heard you're not happy where you are, we'd like you to try working in this other place for a little while, to see if it suits you better.

Boys are stupid.

Brian in Mpls said...

Sue him and take over the whole kitchen

Danielle A. said...

Blah - that's so crappy and I'm sorry that happened. But at least the people in the new kitchen are nice and hopefully some other opportunities will open up for you in the new one. You're awesome and someone there will see it, I'm sure. :)

***hugs***

Rocketstar said...

That really sucks, sorry Mags. Hopefully you'll end up really enjoying the new kitchen and people.

Suzie said...

can they do that? that really sucks big time
1

Bond said...

OK, bet that would not have happened in Yankee Stadium!

Mags...so sorry and hope it all works out and I had to throw that barb ... ya know...friendly rivalry heckling and all

FRIGGA said...

Well, do you prefer working in a nicer location but with not nice coworkers, or in a not as nice location with way nice coworkers? In the long run, I think you'll be much better off where they moved you to. :)

Mo said...

When you're on Top Chef:Boston next year, they'll be SO jealous!!!

Ivanhoe said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Mags. At least you have nice people around now. I know how much more stressed I get if I do not like the people I work with & do not feel welcomed...

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

I think you will learn something doing what you are doing now. if anything, you'll learn how crappy people can be.

But being surrounded by nice people rather than mean people....that's a nice move.

Travis said...

Well, if you choose, you do have legal recourse. You don't have to put up with discrimination and you don't have to put up with being moved without your consent as a response to discrimination.

It's entirely up to you.

I don't buy that this is "just the way it is". No industry is exempt from providing a harrassment free workplace for all of it's employees.

I'm glad that you're in a place now with people you like and who like you.

Amazing Gracie said...

I love what Travis said!
I played that game before the rules changed and I hated every minute of it. Being a female in an all-male office in the '60's was harsh! I think today, I'd be very quick to react and that might not be in my best interests...
I really do hope this works out for the best in the long run.
~~~Blessings~~~