Friday, March 28, 2008

Pain in the Neck

A few years ago I sustained an injury to my neck and shoulder that caused me to have a lot of pain. I sought out a chiropractor, and he helped me immensely. A few times a year I have flair ups-usually if I am too stressed out or if I lifted something that was too heavy. The latter usually makes it so hard for me to move that I actually whimper with pain when I move and getting out of bed takes all I've got.


A couple of weeks ago I started getting that telltale pain in my right shoulder blade. Sometimes it just goes away, so I waited a bit. When it didn't stop, I find a chiropractor here in MA. (You remember the guy who touched my butt?) After he adjusted me last week, the opposite side of my back started having spasms. This usually happens when they first start adjusting, so though I was miserable, I was tolerant. This week my shoulders feel fine, but my neck is killing me. It's hurting so bad that I'm having trouble concentrating and working at a computer all day just aggravates it. I go again tomorrow after work, thankfully, and I'll tell him about the pain. Hopefully he can fix it soon. It's not a nice thing to feel.


I've been thinking a lot about the path my culinary career is taking and have decided that overall, I am not happy with my choices. Here I am in a great city with tons of opportunities and I chose to work for 2 people who have no clue about food, really. The opportunity for growth with them is what lured me in, but I am quickly beginning to realize that it probably won't happen the way it was pitched to me. For one thing, the wife is very controlling, but she is never here. So there's this sort of clash that happens. She feels out of the loop when I email just her husband, but he's the one who is here. Recently, she decided to stop selling my cookies, even though she said they were "a keeper" and that they were fantastic. Instead, she's switching back to pre-made dough.


I don't like telling people where I bake because I'm afraid they'll taste some of the pre-made things they are still selling and think I made them. Also, when she's here on the weekends, she sometimes makes things on her own. From the very beginning of our meetings she's told me that she's not a baker. Why the heck would she hire me, if she was going to do these things?


I emailed them both today to communicate my concerns and she wrote back a very demeaning letter telling me that surly in school I learned that not everything works. Um-yeah...but surly being a powerful business woman you learned that communication is important-if I have no idea what's selling I have no idea what to make. She then sighted an item that I made using her recipe. She said they came out perfectly but no one bought them. I wanted to tell her that it was because the flavors were disgusting together and that everyone I've told about them cringes.


The trouble is, I need the money. I've come to rely on the extra $100 cash each week, and without it, things will be tough. I've sent out a bunch of resumes for other culinary jobs, but I worry that they won't fit into my schedule-and I can't afford to quit my day job. I seriously don't know how people do it...being single and following their dreams.


Today I received a phone call from one of the places I sent my resume to-it's a big name in Boston and let's just say that this would be my Disney World of New England. It would be fantastic on a resume, I think, and probably a lot of fun. But, it's seasonal which means not a lot of job security, and also, that I probably won't be able to work there b/c of the schedule. But I'm going in on Saturday to meet with them anyway.


So, that's pretty much it-my mind is consumed with what to do next-I'm looking at every angle of how to make money doing what I love. I briefly considered starting a mail order cupcake/brownie business, but 1. I don't think people would buy them and 2. I'd have to get an inspection.


I'm also in more pain than I'm letting onto, and as anyone who's tried to hide something like that knows, it's hard work....luckily I have fun plans on Saturday after the interview and I'm also starting back on my diet. That should make me feel 100% better about life again.


The city still looks pretty from my window-I'm hoping to go replace the photos I lost a couple of weeks ago if the weather permits.


Thanks for still reading...

17 comments:

Kat said...

I'm so sorry to hear you're in pain. I'm therefore sending good vibes and well wishes your way. Hope you will feel better soon.

Sorry to hear that your culinary job isn't panning out the way you thought it might but remember that when a door closes another one opens and I am certain you were meant for bigger things.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

as to the pain i can tell you that once you get it in control (gone) i think it is best to continue to get an adjustment monthly to keep things in check. not forever, but for awhile. just sayin'...

and the work stuff, well work is a four letter word to me. sorry to be no help there!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxxooxoxxo

Geggie said...

Good lord, I feel your pain. Being single and being risky isn't always a good combo.

About the cupcake/brownie thing. I'm a lurker on a blog in Phoenix. She does delivery cupcakes out of her home, I believe. The business is: http://sugarblossomcupcakes.com/ and her personal blog is http://tequilastakescroquet.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html

I don't know her, but found her through other Phx based blogs. Maybe you can look into it!

Good luck!

Clancy in Idaho said...

So sorry about your pain. Both physically and mentally. Pain usually is the time for growth, so good job! Something great is coming! But I must say, I am glad you posted about this because you haven't seemed "yourself" (as much as I know of that from your blog, anyway) and this seems to explain why! So, again, I am so sorry and know that there are strangers out there who want you to WIN! :) Keep going! You are awesome!

FRIGGA said...

Sorry to hear about your neck, and back, I hope you're better soon!

Now I'm curious, what flavors was the owner mixing together that was so unappetizing?

Happy Friday!!! :-)

Suzie said...

ugh I feel your pain... I tripped during a run and strained my hip flexor to the point I have trouble sitting in my car... went for a massage only it still hurts...went to chiro ... still hurts. I'm thinking maybe I need to see my brain surgeon...

the teach said...

Mags, hope your neck feels better. That's one! Two, tell that woman who hasn't an iota of an idea about baking to take a hike (even if you do it alone in your apartment so you don't lose the job.)! Three, good luck on that appointment Saturday. Even if it's seasonal work maybe it'll pay real good and you can make oodles of dough (pun intended!) :)

Linda said...

First off, I can so sympathize on the back and neck pain. I've been having some issues again myself and am seriously giving thought to going back to see the chiropractor I used to go to before I had surgery. She was at a health fair we had a work a few weeks ago and I was talking to her about being afraid to go back but she told me that they have different techniques they use for people who have had back surgery. I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to give it a try again because lately I feel like one big achy blob most of the time with pain everywhere. As Garth Brooks once sang, "I'm much too young to feel this darned old!"

As for the other, I know in my heart that you are destined for great things when it comes to your culinary career because your heart is in it and it's not just something you think you want to do, it's something you know you are destined to do. Like Katherine said, when one door closes another one opens so who knows what awaits you at tomorrow's interview? Never say never and all that good stuff!

I've got my fingers crossed for you and sending all sorts of good thoughts to Boston!

Travis said...

I can empathize with the pain issue. I'm struggling with it now too, because of the seasonal change.

As for your culinary career, it might be tough to get started but it also sounds like you're doing the work for your dream. I like your plan to keep sending resumes and going on interviews. In the meantime, I guess you'll just keep cooking and learning, and eventually things will start to move for you.

MightyMom said...

It's a big world, you'll find something better.

about the back pain. as a friend I'll just say I hope you feel better and leave it at that....I wait till you tell me if you want my nurse's opinion

:-)

MightyMom said...

you think being single and following your dreams is hard, try having a family to support and following your dreams!!

Desert Songbird said...

In the end, you have to do what's best for you, and it's a leap of faith. Just like your move to Boston was. So, close your eyes, have faith, and JUMP!

Callie Ann said...

Well, girl it is Saturday and I am blog hoping. I haven't sat in my chair and blog hoped in Months. If feels good to get back in touch with people's lives.

No I haven't bought my plane ticket yet. Money is having trouble. but, I will get thru it. Talk to you soon.
Callie
decisions, decisions, decisions....

katherine. said...

I kinda liked the use of the word "surly"...I've been known to be surly in the work environment. smile.

hope you find the happy solution to the work dilema....

just a thought..stress and tensions won't do anything good for the neck and shoulder pain....

feel better mags!

Julie said...

Oh Mags.....I'm sorry you're not happy and chipper. Chronic pain is something I'm not familiar with and thank God quite often for that!

So the interview is today? Oh please let us know what happens!

Lois Grebowski said...

Hope everything (i mean everything) gets better soon.

hugs!

Josh said...

Hey Mags,

I hope you get to feeling better, and I look forward to you letting us know about your night tonight.

You take care of yourself... get a massage or something.

Lata!