Monday, March 17, 2008

Manic Monday: Drink

Monday's are MoMoLicious!

I didn't drink until I was in college so when I started, I felt like I had some catching up to do. The two guys who lived across the hall were army boys and took it upon themselves to "teach" me how to drink.

They started with beer. On weekends we would all sit around and they'd pace me so I wouldn't get sick. Once they were happy with my performance, they moved to mixed drinks. It was-to be honest-quite fun. My boyfriend was there so I felt safe, and a few other of our friends hung out there too. We'd play cards, video games or just spend hours talking and laughing.

The campus I lived on used to have around the world parties on a regular basis. An entire section would host the party and there would be a different drink in each room. It was mostly upperclassmen, but I was actually friends with most of them and therefore, was invited every time. (I was a freshman.)

The first around the world I remember the most-not only because it was new and exciting, but because Andy and Jeff were "introducing" me to the party scene. They walked me around, introduction me to everyone. It was a fantastic feeling, being the pride and joy of my two friends-even if it was because they 'taught" me how to drink.

At this party I learned that I do not like Southern Comfort and hate it even more when it's paired with orange juice, that Kamikaze's really kick your ass, and that I could shoot a Flaming Doctor Pepper better than any boy on the floor.

This was what really make Andy and Jeff proud. Especially because at the end of the drink you were supposed to belch and it would then taste like Doctor Pepper. Though I was never a true "girly girl" I was somewhat of a goody goody (with a secret wild side) and so it cracked everyone up that I actually belched.

That night, I had the time of my life, and I didn't even get sick. My friends continued to be proud and I continued to make more friends than I had ever had in my entire life. Looking back, it's sad that it was all because of drinking, but it was fun, and I was young and so I think that is ok.

23 comments:

Cheerio said...

That was funny! Imagine being proud for drinking.

Amazing Gracie said...

I never had a drink until after I was married! I drank 3 Vodka Gimlets in a half hour. And I was violently ill. Threw it all up and ate dinner, got sober. I've never been that drunk since. Puking is NOT my idea of fun...
~~~Blessings~~~

Lois Grebowski said...

I never really drank until college... the guys liked me 'cause I could chug a beer in no time flat.

Aint nothing like standing in a room blindfolded, chugging a pitcher of beer to a group of guys chanting "drink 'til you puke." Hope my kids never find out...Yikes!

Lois Grebowski said...

btw, can't do it now...don't want to ... it's part of my life I'd rather put away...

Kat said...

Imagine having coaches to teach you how to drink :) The belching part is hilarious

anthonynorth said...

Many are proud of drinking in their youth. Then you learn to just enjoy it :-)

TopChamp said...

it can't be sad - it was something that you had in common - friendship's gotta start somewhere.

Brian in Mpls said...

I am old and I still think it is ok:)

the teach said...

We did a lot of drinking in college and driving too! We were very lucky to come away alive and well... Today a have a glass of wine occasionally. It's amazing how things have changed! Happy St. Patrick's Day, mags!

Ivanhoe said...

That is a great story! It made me remember my college days. Some were good and some were bad, but I would not change them for anything in the world...

Mo said...

Ah... college drinking!

Congrats on the front page of Boston Dot com!!!

GMadrid said...

WOW YOU ARE POPULAR!!!

Rocketstar said...

It is always good to have a good sense of your limits.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

funny mags! happy spd honey and happy mm too!

smiles, o'bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

FRIGGA said...

At that age it's very common to bond over the fact that you no longer live with parents - no rules! Drinking or no drinking, they sounds like good friends. :-)

Today I posted the "stories" from last weeks Mad Libs style TT - come by and vote for your favorite if you have time! :-)

Bond said...

oooooooooooooo kamikazes......Have not had one is so long.....

Rob said...

Ahhhhh, there is something satisfying about a job done right! Even when you are only reading about it. Leave it to the Army guys to make sure you were trained properly!

onangelwings said...

I couldn't even read any more after the words Southern Comfort. Gag...that was what I got drunk on the 1 time I did and just the words, make me smell it and then the gagging starts.

Colette, aka Lil Sis said...

You were lucky, I just wanted to do everything the hard way...LOL Great post and an even better memory for you.

Some of my fondest memories of high school are of mini "house" parites me and a small group of friends used to hang around drinking and having fun!!

Happy St. Patty's Day Mags! See you next weekend hopefully! (Not this one, next one. LOL )

Travis said...

That first real belch...a true moment of pride!

LOL!

Happy MM & St Pat's!

Danielle A. said...

I also never really drank until college, and even then only my first couple of years had a ton of drunken antics. I'm lucky I wasn't in trouble... ever...

I also know now that I can never, EVER drink that much again. My body rejects the very idea... and I don't think that's a bad thing. :)

Desert Songbird said...

The fact that you can remember your experience says that you didn't drink yourself into oblivion.

I can relate to being a goody-goody with a secret wild side.

Marilyn said...

I kinda like Southern Comfort... but it has been a very long time since I've had any.

It sounds like a good time was had by all and there were no lasting ill effects.