Friday, March 07, 2008

In The Shadow

I know the recently I've been talking about how much I miss being in culinary school and truth be told, if I could afford it, I'd be going to another one right now. I think that a lot of people think I'm nuts because they saw first hand how tired and strung out I was during that time in my life and they can't imagine why I'd want to put myself through that again. But it made me feel alive and it gave me hope. And I felt like I had a purpose.

And of course, there were my chef's.

I'm not going to post about how awesome they were because I did that just a few weeks ago. But what I am going to tell you is that of all the chef instructors I had, there were 3 that I will always love and who will always remain in my brain. Certain words or phrases will always remind me of them, and the character they had will come through in my memories.

And I will always, without a doubt, see people who remind me of them.

For instance, here at work there are 2 men who resemble Chef C and Chef V. Both chefs are little men (in stature). One speaks with a thick Boston accent and the other a Latin one. The two men that roam the hallways at work could easily be their brothers. The first one could very well be Chef C's cousin-that's how much they look alike. Their mannerisms are quite alike as well as their accent. And being that Chef C is from this area, it wouldn't be impossible. He makes me smile whenever I see him because I remember how much Chef C loved us and how we made him cry at the end of our tenure there.

I have not ever heard the other man speak, but only have seen him walking by my office or passing him in the hallway. It's strange because his face looks exactly like Chef V's-even in his eyes which is the best part of Chef V. They always seemed to be dancing and there was always a joke behind them. The man who looks like him has the same expression. It freaked me out a bit this morning when I saw him because he looked directly at me as he was walking by-almost as if it was Chef V but in disguise.

That's silly, I know, but that's how I felt.

One of these days I'm going to go visit the school to see them again. It's going to be hard considering I work when they are there and I live in Boston and they are in CT. But I'll find a way and when I do, they might have a hard time getting me to leave.

Who knew that I would get so attached to them? It amazes me on a daily basis.

6 comments:

Brian in Mpls said...

You are the only one who has won a medal congratulations:)

Bond said...

good professors....stick with us forever

Travis said...

A little nostalgia for school is natural because you were so happy learning to do what you do.

Clancy Passey said...

That's so great! And look how beautiful you are! You face is all sunshine, Mags. Have a great day! (or night:-O)

Lois Grebowski said...

You look so cool in your uniform! My SD L-O-V-E-S her instructors as well... especially "Chef Eric" her dept chair (?).

Gonna try the puttanesca next week.

Julie said...

The people in your world are what make you-YOU!! I still remember some of my profs...and I smile.