Saturday, July 21, 2007
1. Where is your cell phone? In my bag
2. Your boyfriend/girlfriend? In my dreams
3. Your hair? Long and shiny
4. Where is your father? Um...at home?
5. Your favorite thing to do? Kiss good lips
6. Your dream last night? See number 2
7. Your dream car? I don't know...
8. The room you're in? My yellow office
9. Who did you hang out with last night? Me, Myself....I
10. Your fears? No Fairytale Ending
11. What are you not good at? Adding and subtracting
12. Muffins? Mmmm...coffee cake
13. The last thing you did? Rolled out dough
14. Your computer? Has no passwords
15. Your pet? She ran away
16. You are wearing? Capris and flipflops
17. One of your wish list items? Ice Cream Maker
18. Your life? Busy, fulfilling, stressful
19. Your mood? My head hurts
20. Missing? Having a relationship
21. Your car? Very dirty now!
22. What are you thinking right now? This here meme
23. Your work? I'm a chef
24. Your summer? Starts next week
25. Your relationship status? I am single
26. Your favorite color(s)? Green, pink, blue
27. When is the last time you cried? Few days ago
28. When was the last time you laughed? I laughed yesterday
29. School? Done on Thursday!
30. Favorite 90's group? I don't know
Tagging...well, no one ever does 'em...so, if you want to, do it and tell me!
Friday, July 20, 2007
We glance at each other and smile our little hidden smiles.
We are friends.
"I'm going to miss you." with a pat on his arm.
"We'll hang out. We'll "do lunch"."
It makes me smile again. We'll hang out.
We are friends. His nose flairs crack me up.
I tell him so.
"6 years?!?" I whisper. "He's crazy."
"That shit's shady." He says, and walks away.
I know what he means by it. We are friends.
"I think the only reason I'll go to Boston is to visit you."
It makes me smile. On the inside, as well as the out.
He'll visit. He believes in me-in my dream.
We are friends.
No problem...we took care of that-however everything we move has to have stickers on them. On the stickers we are to write our new location number (23-1N), the area we're moving to (24) and our groups name (Cost Estimating). Well...our labels are brown, the other groups are all different colors. The movers are not looking at the labels.
Then there is the problem of our files. We have tons. Like...40. And they won't all fit where my boss wants them and they are not willing to take down a few cubes to do it.
So I had to go back and resticker a bunch of things.
On top of it all, they are moving lots of groups all at once. So the group that was in our new office was moved a few hours ago, and we're waiting for the go ahead to walk over so we can put our computers and such there. They've said that it could be minutes or hours, or even tomorrow.
It's very unsettling, and we have nothing-everything is in boxes...thank God it's Friday...
These days, I enjoy playing poker with my own friends. There is nothing like sitting around a table laughing and joking-it really relieves the stress after a long week of work. That is why I am happy to have found online poker forums
At the Texas Holdem Forum, you can connect with poker players from all over the globe. You can share tips and stories, swap stragegies and even play poker! If you are even a casual poker player, you should check out the online Texas Holdem Forum today.
Thursday, July 19, 2007
(Sorry for the delay in posting this morning-
I had some "technical" difficulties...)
And Don't Forget...
What will I come up with THIS week??
Stop by tomorrow for ingredient results...
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
It was a dream come true, and one that I did not think I would ever get to realize.
And now. I am here. I am on the cusp of finishing school-next Thursday is our final dinner and then I am done.
No more driving 1/2 hour south through Hartford's rush hour traffic. No more studying for tests, writing papers and filling in flavor journals. No more walking in the door from job number one, stripping and changing and turning right back around to go to school, coming home, stripping into PJ's and going to bed.
But there is also no more seeing my chef instructors, whom I've grown severely fond of. No more laughing with my classmates, sharing the joy in discovering that in fact, we ARE good and we CAN do it. No more inside jokes, nicknames and bonds formed by persistence, skill and the curse of always having to do your best.
It is bittersweet, this ending of school. I can now call myself a certified Chef. And that is pretty fantastic. But the dream of culinary school will soon be behind me, and that is pretty scary.
And I don't know how to explain what I mean by that, other than saying that when you've wanted something for so long but could never get it-you sort of learn to hide behind it: "I really want to be a chef, but I can't afford culinary school...so, I'll stay in this job I hate and just complain." But now...I can no longer hide.
I will be expected to excel in the industry-I expect myself to excel. I want to excel.
I need to excel.
I guess all I am saying is that although I am excited and proud to be finishing, there is also a little bit of fear mixed in. And sadness too.
But all good things must come to an end-and I know, that this....
...is only the beginning.
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Happy Toosdae everyone! This is a late night (early morning) edition, and I hope it brings lots of extra comments! I'm having sort of a rough week, so take a few minutes to answer these questions. It'll cheer me up for sure!
1. What food and/or drink makes you cheer up or makes you feel better when you are having a bad day?
2. Besides your fingerprints, what is the one thing about you that is most unique and that makes you "you"?
3. If you were a cheese, what kind would you be, and why?
Bonus 4th Question: What should I get for my professors as a thank you gift? $25 max...they are all professional chefs. I am having a hard time thinking of something meaningful and not stupid.
1. My honest answer would be that no specific food or drink cheers me up when I am sad. However, PREPARING food always makes me happy. No matter how horrible a day I have had, I can go into the kitchen and feel the stress melt away. So while I do look to food for comfort, it's not to eat it...
2. Characteristically I would say that I have an over the top passion for things I love. Food, my niece, Autumn, quirky people...whatever it is that I am passionate about I love to the highest degree and am very geeky about it. The other thing I would say that makes me, me is my laugh. I giggle a lot and laugh pretty loudly.
3. Hmmm...this is hard. I think if I were a cheese I would have to be Vermont Sharp White Cheddar. It's tangy and rich, and melts like a dream when you eat it. And also, it's a classic.
4. I don't know. That's why I am askin' you, silly!
Monday, July 16, 2007
Cute boys look even cuter in orange.
There will always be a crazy person sitting next to you at a concert. And by "you" I mean YOU. Luckily, it's not ME.
Hearing someone say: “Are you guys old friends or something?” makes me smile because it means that we’re naturally friends. The kind that just happen.
Sometimes you just need cake.
Kermit said, “It’s not easy being green.” Did anyone ever ask him why? Seriously. The answer might be yes. And if it is, I would like you to tell me what he said.
50 #'s of potatoes is a lot. And peeling them makes you feel like a slacker, because as you are peeling (and peeling) and peeling...people are completing 10 other dishes. After a while you start to hate potatoes. And when you are done, you are so proud of yourself, that you almost want to make an announcement and have people clap.
Remembering someones birthday makes them feel special. Even if it is not on their birthday, but just the fact that you remember the date makes them say, "Hey, I'm someone special."
That wasn't a guilt trip to make you all remember my birthday. It was a story of how I remembered someones birthday, and made him feel special. And also like a dope because he didn't know mine. But that is another story.
Video cameras are more scary than most people give them credit for. I'm serious about this one too.
I hate being made to feel like a fool. Especially when it comes to ...