Saturday, December 29, 2007

Today In Boston

Today I was supposed to have an interview for a line cook position up the street in Coolidge Corner. I got there about 5 minutes early to find the restaurant locked-not so odd. So I waited until 2pm when my interview was scheduled for and called the restaurant. No one answered. So, I waited another 5 minutes and called again. No answer. After about 12 minutes of waiting and calling, I left. The chef invited me to come at 2pm and knowing that his door was locked, he should have been waiting for me. Or at the very least, should have answered the phone.

It's rather disappointing, mainly because it is a cute restaurant and it's less than a walking mile away from my house. But, truth be told, I don't want to work for someone like that anyway...

Instead, I walked around Coolidge Corner for a while. I stopped in for a free champagne tasting where I sampled for the first time Dom Perignon. It was quite good, I must say. I've heard that it wasn't that good but I disagree. It was (of course) my favorite of all that we tasted.

Outside the wine store there were picketors...next door there is a coat shop that specializes in fur coats, and I was "lucky" enough to watch them in action. (New camera-not yet good at taking pictures=blurry)Today was also Haymarket day, and I took $11 and headed to find some cheap food! I specifically wanted to get some white fish, green beans and fruit. Anything else would be a bonus in my mind. The first thing I bought was swordfish. It's practically the entire fish-that's how big it is! I paid $7. Then I got 3#'s of green beans for $1, a pint of strawberries for $1, 3 bunches of asparagus for $1 and 4 oranges for-you guessed it, $1. The oranges were the worst buy b/c just a few booths down I could have gotten 8 for $1. Oh well. Next week I'll walk around first before buying anything. I also want to get some cheese next week, and if they still have them, cherries.

After I spent my $11 I walked to the T, but not before stopping to see what was going on near Faueuil Hall. These guys were giving out free Snapple. I'm not sure why.
This girl really stunk. She looks neat, but I saw a man like this in San Fransisco and he was so still and elusive-this girl...well, she's looking at me.
And this clown...he just made me smile because he was silly...

Then I came home, did laundry and cleaning my living room. (I took down the tree) And there you have it, my fascinating Saturday in Boston. :)
PS. Last night was fun-I got called up on stage to be part of the show. Nothing more to really say about it, just that I had a great time!

13 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

lovely day, well except for a jerk in a restaurant that is. i paid 68 cents each for tangerines today! yeesh...

smiles, bee
xoxooxoxo

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

Sorry about the potential job interview. You're right, you don't want to work for someone like that.

Wow, what a great farmers market (that's what we call them here) expericence you had. That's a ton of food for 11 bucks. Great job Mags. Have a great weekend. :)

Travis said...

That sounds like a fun day. And I'm sure you'll find a better cooking position working with a chef that is a little more responsible.

Linda said...

Sounds like a good day in Boston to me. You're becoming quite the City Girl, aren't you?

I spent the day at work feeling yuk and now I am at home feeling yuk. I get the sneaky feeling I'm about to have my fifth cold for the season and I am not happy about that at all as I can't afford to miss work but there's nothing worse than trying to dispatch when you're feeling like Death Eating a Cracker!

Danielle A. said...

That stinks about that guy standing you up for your interview, I know you were excited about it too. :(

On a side note: you didn't get the 8 oranges for $1? Fur shame! Fur shame! (Sorry... that sign is just TOO much).

Lois Grebowski said...

Sorry about the interview. That just means something better is coming up the pike.

I love learning about your new town. Never been there...Sounds fun!

Palm Springs Savant said...

Mags- I used to go to Hay market when I lived in Boston, it was fun. Sounds like it was a good day being out and about. Damn shame about the restaurant interview...what is it with people anyway?

which reminds me, have you ever read Kitchen Confidential and Bone in your throat,both by Anthony Boudin???

-rick

Mags said...

It was a great day! The fish was outstanding-I had a piece for dinner last night and WOW! :)

Rick: I wish you still lived here. :( I read Kitchen Confidential about 4 years ago, but have not read Bone in your Throat yet...have you?

Claire said...

What a wanker!

But that food market place sounds great! You will have to take me there! Can you get Sea Bass? I love it.

Was talking to junior about you and now she wants to visit as well. Jnior aka little sister :)

She thinks you sound like a movie story :)

Desert Songbird said...

RE: your interview - what Claire said. What a wanker!

I can't imagine going to the market and getting all that fresh produce during a bitter cold winter. It just seems anomalous. Oh well, what do I know? I've only been to Boston twice, and only into Boston proper once. I was a mere girl of 15 then (I won't mention how long ago that was!)

Brian in Mpls said...

I think that is how the tin man died ...

katherine. said...

when were you in The City? I have a picture of that guy...I'll see if I can find it for you....

jolie-jordan said...

Cherries this time of year and strawberries and asparagus. How great. Boston sounds better all the time. What an exciting fun place for a young single woman to be. I do so love swordfish. You must of had a real feast.
xxxJolie