Thursday, November 22, 2007

Me, Myself & I: The 3rd Anniversary of Me


Today is The Anniversary of Me



Three years ago I wrote this post:



Today is exactly 1 year since I decided not to go back to an abusive relationship, not to continue feeling less than worthy of a good man and the day I took my laughter back from someone who tried to stifle it.

Today is a very, very good day. A day in which I remember learning that many
people love me-even when they do not show it-even people who I do not know very well personally.

It is a day that I remember that
a stranger can change your life and that God does indeed give you a nudge every now and then.

Today is the day
I celebrate being able to buy shoes, to get my nails done if I want to, to eat chocolate cake at 2am, to have my family over my house for dinner, to play with Rye Bread, to not make my bed (!), to buy Christmas gifts, to stay out late, to stay up until 3am, to paint a picture and have it suck, to write a blog, to write a poem, to use my computer, to not shave my legs, to read a book, to play with my silly sisters, to wear chapstick (!!), to be in a play, to visit with a friend, to talk on the phone, to sleep late, to cook with salt, to wear jeans with holes in them, to laugh out loud, to laugh even louder, to cry without being scolded...

...and to live.

Today I celebrate finding a best friend.

I celebrate girls nights and margaritas, being able to have wine in the house, a gummy bear throwing
boy friend, a cute boy with a cute mouth and lots of baseball hats, a boss who loves my chocolate cake, being able to buy too many books, writing emails to men I consider friends (O&H) and the freedom to learn from my mistakes.

These are a few of the things that I forgot to fight for last year, and today is the anniversary of the day
I took it back.

Thank you God, for giving me the strength and the courage to finally take your hand.

Thank you to my family and friends who continue to help me grow, and who still love me when I fall.


*****

3 years later, I am about to embark on what I hope will be a life changing move. And though I still have a long way to go, I look back at all that I've experience and achieved over the last few years, and am still so very thankful to God to have given me the strength to leave-the strength to finally say "That is enough" and to finally take back my life.

*


The Anniversary of Me is so much more than just a date. It is a time for me to reflect on who I've become, who I'd like to be, and a reminder that even though you think things are horribly, horribly bad-brighter days are just around the corner.


Happy Thanksgiving everyone...


16 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

love you mags!!!

smiles, bee

Kat said...

Happy Thanksgiving Mags. Here's to you!

crazy working mom said...

What a beautiful post, Mags. I love ya girl! :)

I'm so glad you are YOU!!!

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

Happy Anniversary Mags. I'm so proud of you. I know how hard this is to do. Big hug...

Palm Springs Savant said...

I raise my glass of orange juice and toast to you Mags!

Linda said...

I salute you for being a brave woman and for taking back you. You are an amazing woman.

Don't forget to change your sidebar to read "MA" instead of "CT" once you get your internet back! And for that I admire you even more!!

katherine. said...

such strength. Much to give thanks for.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Travis said...

Good for you!

Jamie said...

Congratulations Mags! Freedom and the ability to love yourself so that you can truly love others may sometimes be difficult, but well worth the effort.

p.s. gummy bear throwing boy friends are a true gift.

Callie Ann said...

I am right by your side girl in spirit. Can't wait to see all the new things were going to do in the new world. I am very proud of you Mags!!!

Misty Dawn said...

Wow - I feel like you've been inside my head! I can relate to this so much. Unfortunately though, I was too emotionally and mentally messed up to even remember what day it was that I left.

You are awesome! Truly awesome.
I found your blog through Linda and Sandee - now, I'm subscribing to your feed so I can come back often.

Marilyn said...

Yay! You are an inspiration.

Jamie said...

If you want to play your are tagged with "7 things about me"

Durward Discussion

Jamie said...

If you want to play your are tagged with "7 things about me"

Durward Discussion

tegdirb92 said...

what a beautiful post, Mags. I love stopping by here for a visit!

Colette, aka Lil Sis said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving Mags! I absolutely LOVE that post! Good for you chica!