Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Thirst Like None Before

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

It wasn’t until 2am that I fell into bed, barely managing to pull off my black high-heeled boots. The jeans, dark blue with long slimming lines, could stay on. I had already peeled off my blouse in haste when I walked in the door-the way only a single girl who’s had too much wine could do.

It lay on the floor in a heap.

My sheets felt cool on my skin and I sunk down into the comfort of the only thing I knew was still mine-my dreams. They were fitful that night though and I tossed and turned, spinning sheets around my body, mummifying myself, preserving my restlessness to perfection. That night seemed to last forever.

As dawn approached I woke with a start, grasping my throat in pain. Never before had I felt such an urgent, calling need for water. I tried to swallow, but my mouth was so dry that I couldn’t even will my throat to go through the motions.

Realizing that I had on only my jeans, I stripped them off and tossed them aside as I ran into the kitchen. Naked, cold and thirty, I filled and emptied my glass three times before my mouth was once again moist.

Awake now, I made my way into the bathroom, knowing that 3 glasses of water would soon call me there anyway. Without thinking, I flipped on the light on the way in. Its piercing white rays blinded me, making me stumble and trip on the bathroom rug. Allowing myself a minute to adjust, I sighed deeply and stretched my legs, readying them for their task of getting me off of the floor. Using the sink for balance, I steadied myself as I stood.

Unable to shake the strange sleepless night and the intensity of my thirst, I splashed cool water on my face and neck. Reaching for the towel, I glanced in the mirror. What I saw in its reflection would forever change my life.

What do you think “I” saw?

*Update*I'm sorry, I should have told you that there is no right answer...I haven't finished it on purpose-I am curious what your brains make up.*

15 comments:

Julie said...

Well...since I hit my 40's...sometimes after a rough night I see my mother in my mirror!

But for crying out loud don't tell HER that!

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

wrinkles???

smiles, bee

ps: just kidding

Danielle A. said...

Oh boy.....

I have no idea. This one is a tough one. When do we get the answer?

Maybe running mascara that made you realize that you should buy nothing but waterproof mascara again?

Mags said...

**Prior Commentors, read update**

No right answer Danielle...does that change your answer?

Kat said...

You probably saw the imprints your pillow left in your face. Not at all unknown to myself in these situations...

Danielle A. said...

Uhm... nah. Waterproof mascara is important. :)

Tom said...

A huge wart on your nose (or perhaps on your derriere').

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

I look like my mother!

Dixiechick said...

A strange man behind me because I had gone into the wrong apt ... *giggles*

FRIGGA said...

Okay, I was a little disappointed when I got to the bottom to realize we don't have an answer yet... I do have a story very similar to this (not my own, I swear) but what she saw could only be seen once she took off all her cloths to jump in the shower, she looked down and saw "Under 21" stamped twice, very strategically... :-0 No, it wasn't me, but I was with her the night it happened ;-)

Brian in Mpls said...

A great rack that you began to touch ever so gently

katherine. said...

ah....fill in the blank...hmmm...

"I" stared in disbelief, from below my collarbone, to just over the swell of my left breast was the most incredible tattoo I had ever seen.....

Mags said...

Great answers everyone! Katherine, Tit for Tat came to mind! LOL

Colette, aka Lil Sis said...

Gray hairs! Those always scare the shit outta me! muahahahaha~!

Callie Ann said...

The hair on your head was standing straight up!!!! Like you had been scared by a halloween fright