Friday, October 05, 2007

Symbols

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, I’ve been browsing through the many catalogs that have recently plagued my mailbox. The recent catalog I looked at is filled front to back with nothing but ornaments ranging from traditional round glass balls to spider webs and ladybugs. Diverse and out there as it is, I found something very interesting-this catalog is all about the symbol.

Like turtles? Great! We’ve got an ornament for you-and you know what it means? Because they taking their homes with them, turtles remind us to remember our roots while still welcoming new places and phases in life.

Ok, I can buy that-it’s even kind of clever and well, cute…

Are you in awe of the sparkle of a dragonflies wings, with its iridescent shimmer in the sun? Well, their “jewel-like” tones take time to develop, don’t you know, reflecting the idea that our own true colors come forth with maturity.

Um…right. True colors-I wonder if Cindy knew the legend of the dragonfly when she was writing her songs…a little of a stretch for me, but again-if I allow my brain to blur the lines of symbolism with reality, I can see it.

There are more, too-the frog as a symbol of good luck, a tiger for power and mystery and the butterfly-which to me makes the most sense-a symbol of resurrection and eternal life.

I was amazed at the number of ornaments dedicated solely to symbolism and their somewhat abstract connections to the things they represent. But then I turned the page. And was smacked in the face with a peanut.

Yes, a peanut. Did you know that the peanut is a symbol of mystery and anticipation? I get it, but I’ve never in my life ever heard of this before. And why in the world would someone buy a fake peanut as a gift? I certainly don’t know…

Something I did learn though from reading this catalog is that the inventor of chocolate chip cookies (Ruth Graves Wakefield) received a lifetime supply of chocolate for the rights to publish the recipe that we now know as Toll House.

I think that should symbolize the creative spirit and its ability to reap handsome rewards. That, or the not so sudden resurgence of gluttony and what’s now to be known as “Cookie Ass”.

10 comments:

lala said...

That sounds like such a cute catalogue! I'm not sure I would ever hang a peanut ornament anywhere, but I know a few relatives who might =).

(btw, I tagged you to do the Jezebel meme- I thought you might have a good dance story)

Colette, aka Lil Sis said...

I've heard of the frog one, and the butterfly one, but the rest were news to me. A peanut? Seriously, the only thing I associate peanuts with are peanut butter, and baseball games. That's kinda hokey..

Kat said...

A peanut? A symbol for mystery & anticipation??? What's the story there? Now they gotta make up things? I've got a "cookie ass". It's not sweet but certainly large. Not from cookies mind you. What would I give for soft chunky chocolate chip cookies. Which remids me. Do you happen to have a recipe for the soft ones? You know like the Chip Ahoi ones? Mine always end up so dry and bristely it is pathetic.

Jamie said...

Now that was useful. My SIL collects turtles and my daughter collects frogs. Now if you will give me the meaning of owls, you'll have the family covered ... well sort of covered since we all suffer from "cookie ass" and that might require way too much material.

katherine. said...

I give thanks for Ruth Graves Wakefield!!!

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

hmmm, i wonder who lala is talking about??? and i have what might be called "cake ass"!! ha ha ha

smiles, bee

FRIGGA said...

So what do I have to do to score a free lifetime supply of chocolate? I can come up with new desserts out the wazzoo - will that work?

Marilyn said...

The Packing Peanut symbolizes the desire to be careful of others... and to decorate the tree with stuff I don't mind throwing out so that I can undecorate it easier.

Don't think the family will go for it though.

Amazing Gracie said...

I hate what Christmas has become, but I'm such a traditionalist! I won't stand in the way of what other people want but I cringe in Hallmark at all the ornaments they hawk. I'll settle for twinkle lights and my navitity scene!

Palm Springs Savant said...

Personally I love to shop catalogs and online. its the excitement and anticipation and "will it live up to my expectations".