Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Sound Of A Voice

My last boyfriend told me the very first time we spoke on the phone that voices were very important to him-as are laughs. (He also recently told me, incidentally, that if he didn't like my voice he wouldn't have talked to me more than a day!) Though many of you may find this extreme, I tend to agree with him. (No funny joke here-I agree with him a lot!)

But why am I talking about this today? Where did this random thought come from? Well, let me tell you...

Meeting Linda and Morgen made me realize just how much we all do not know about each other. Sure, we may know intimate details of each others lives and perhaps some of you have come to care about the bloggers you call friends. (If you are not a blogger-think about any online situation-especially online dating.) The thing is, there are a hundred things we do not-can not know until we are actually sitting side by side in the same room.

Through modern blogging technology, a lot of us have heard each other's voices for the first time. The first call I made to The Mo Show I had tons of emails saying how much people loved my laugh. Last week, one of my favorite readers Colette told me that I sounded different than she thought I would. (Thankfully she said I sound YOUNGER than she thought!)

I saw a one legged man the day I was picking Mo up from the train station. Now, it is not very common to see this anymore (better surgeries and prosthetics) and it took me aback-I suddenly got a bit nervous about whether or not Mo-or any of you for that matter-have physical characteristics that you have just not shared. Either way, it does not matter a hill of beans to me, it's just something that we could never know.

I've digressed a bit here, but the main reason I thought of this was that when Morgen was here this weekend, Zoe, my boy cat with a girl name, sat with Mo more than me! Perhaps it's a boy thing, or simply that he was a different person and Zoe knows I'd still be here when Mo left. But whatever the reason-Zoe hearts Mo.

And last night, while I was listening to The Mo Show, Zoe was meowing like mad! He walked into Mo's room and back in to me-utterly confused at why he could hear his new friend but not see him! This strange call from within my ZoZo amazed me-showed me that the human voice is so important in relationships-even if the relationship involves a four legged friend.

Most of you have heard Morgen's voice because of his show, The Mo Show, so you know that he has a nice calming voice and a wonderful laugh. But if he sounded like a jagged hag, I'm sure that Zoe would not have talked to him for more than a day.

14 comments:

Danielle A. said...

Cats are so strange... but intuitive. And sometimes interesting.

Great insights on voices. :)

Brian in Mpls said...

I have a voice for blogging..lol

Odat said...

I so agree with you on that voice thing....If someone has a voice I like, I like them when I meet them no matter what defects they come with....it's strange isn't it?

Peace

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

you have a smart cat honey! but sadly he DOES NOT have his own blog yet. work on that, will you? ha ha ha

smiles, bee

Mags said...

Danielle: They are strange, but it's kind of neat.

Brian: I'm curious now, call me!

Odat: It is a little strange, but cool that you overlook the other things too.

Bee: Um...no. Sorry. ;)

katherine. said...

voices are important to me as well...cool story about Zoe. Animals know when they are around people who like them or not...

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

What a great story here. What a smart cat you have as well. Thanks for sharing what sometimes we just don't see. Have a great day Mags. :)

Kat said...

I agree with the voice thing. We used to have a really good looking woman on German television with an awful voice. It so destroys your thoughts of someone. I think voices are important. As for Zoe..our cats are the same they take to visitors and cling as if there's no tomorrow. I never got it but sure am glad you experience the same.

Kat said...

I agree with the voice thing. We used to have a really good looking woman on German television with an awful voice. It so destroys your thoughts of someone. I think voices are important. As for Zoe..our cats are the same they take to visitors and cling as if there's no tomorrow. I never got it but sure am glad you experience the same.

Colette, aka Lil Sis said...

You did sound a lot younger! It's funny how voices have effects on you. I have a friend whose voice I can only tolerate for max 30 min. I love her to death, but most people can't even talk to her for 5 min without thinking their ears are bleading. She's got a really high pitch nasily voice....

TopChamp said...

I am nervous of the way my voice sounds - it is a reason I would be reluctant to phone in to the radio shows.

TopChamp said...

Oh - I actually meant to tell you that your boy cat with a girl name is not alone: my boy cat is called Dixie and my boyfriend's sister's girl cat is called Dave.

Linda said...

I think that Zoe just knew that Mo was a big-time cat lover and that's why he sat with him more than he did you last weekend. Plus Zoe probably knew that Mo was missing his own kitties. You'll notice that Zoe avoided me like the plague except for a few short visits just to make sure I wasn't an alien or something!

Animals are very instinctive when it comes to people and Zoe is an excellent judge of character as he loves you and Mo both to pieces!

Mo said...

Awwww: I miss Zoe.
And you too, OF COURSE!
;)


mo