Friday, October 05, 2007

Snow Fall & Slow Dances

The ever adorable and wonderful Lala tagged me with the Jezebel Meme, which asks me to recount a memory of my favorite dance, and then to tag 5 people...

My most romantic memory comes from the best boyfriend I ever had, Sean. Sean and I were young and naive, and did not care if we jumped in with both feet or what it meant to give someone your whole heart. We simply loved each other, and enjoyed being with each other, and that is it.

Every year after Christmas I would go spend my vacation at Sean's house. He lived in another state and so we used every opportunity we could to spend time with each other. Traditions were important to us both, so we decided to create our own on New Year's Eve. Every year Sean and I went out to dinner at a local Mexican Restaurant and ate ourselves sick. We'd have non-alcoholic drinks (because we were in high school) and just laugh and chat about nothing.

One year we walked out of the restaurant to find it snowing. It was a beautiful night and we did not feel like going back to his house with his mother and sister, so we drove around. We came to a small park and drove into the empty parking lot. I will always remember that the moon seemed so large and full, and the air, crisp and clean. I am not sure what made us get out of the car, but we huddled together to stay warm and ended up dancing in the moonlight, watching the snow fall around us, not caring about anything other than that moment.

We danced until the new year came, and then went home.

I've only slow danced a couple of times after that, and sadly, have not been asked to dance since 1999, on my wedding day. I miss slow dances.

10 comments:

lala said...

Wow- snow tops rain any day! Sounds like the perfect way to end a year. Thank you for sharing this- that's such a beautiful image in my mind.

I hope you get to dance again soon. =)

Colette, aka Lil Sis said...

I've got a short, but extremely sweet young gentleman down here in SC that would love to dance with you. You can't keep him as he's quite underage for you, but he does love to dance and he gives the best hugs while doing so! ;-) Logan says HI! Oh, and he loves snow too!

katherine. said...

ohhh that is a sweet story.

eight years is a very long time...

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

nice... real nice!

smiles, bee

Tom said...

I'll do a virtual slow dance with ya, Mags, but only if it's to Bryan Ferry's "Lady in Red".

FRIGGA said...

Hehe, the very first boy I ever fell in love with was Sean ;-0

Julie said...

Sweet! Very sweet! Thanks for sharing. I need to do this meme also.

Mimi Lenox said...

Awww....sigh.....awwww.....snowing and dancing and moonlight.
Wow.

I knew this meme was going to be special. Thank you for sharing. I'm putting all the stories in a collection on my blog. The "Jezebel Meme" has turned out to be awesome. Gosh, I wish I'd named it something snazzier than Jezebel now!

Travis said...

That's a great memory. I've always thought of dancing as an extension of love, whether it's love between friends or romantic love.

Rocketstar said...

Life is made up up of short bursts of pure perfection. It's too bad there aren't more of them...