Friday, October 12, 2007

Ching

As of last night, I officially have a realtor-you know him as Ching. Ching is of Asian persuasion but I did not make up his nickname-this is simply his last name, but fun, just the same...

Ching came by after work last night and when he walked in, he took off his shoes! Perhaps he grew up in South Windsor, I dunno-but it struck me as odd, but also very considerate. So Ching walks in and tells me that he had been in my house the last time it was on the market-prior to when I bought it-and he remembered it being all new inside.

This was a good sign. I have done many upgrades to my house and I think it is cute and clean and except for a few minor things, in move in condition. We took a tour of my tiny abode and then sat down to talk business.

First, Ching does not think I should paint the bathroom. My bathroom is a pretty shade of blue, but on the dark side. It's a large room, so I took a chance, and I really liked how it came out. He said that because I have all white (cabinets, sink, mirror, toilet and shower/curtain) it brightens it and makes it look modern. Good!

Then I told him about the basement. This is the area of my house that severely concerns me, even after he told me not to worry. He brushed it off as "just another basement" and told me there is no problem, just clean up the debris down there and it will be fine. Yay! I hope he is right.

Ching and I talked a bit about the market, and he showered me with graphs and numbers that explained trends, sale prices and days on the market...he then asked me how much I think I should put it up for.

I said $149,000.

He said, "I think you are very low"...then showed me more graphs.

After some talk about the roof (it's older and could use replacing) we decided to list my house for $159,900. If I replace the roof (which I am) he believes he can sell it for close to the sale price. If not, he thinks it will be more like $150,000. Either way, to be honest, I am very happy.

I paid $120,000.

If my house sells, I will be able to pay off this mortgage, my culinary school loan and all of my other debt minus my car payment and my Sallie Mae student loan. That would make life one hell of a lot easier on me, and also-could help me in my quest for a younger, hipper city. (Boston)

I asked Ching about the market and he, yet again, pulled out statistics. He showed me that the market in our area has dipped for homes in the $200K-$300K range, but for houses in my range (starter homes) they have remained the same.

Of course, this is great news.

So, this weekend I have someone coming to clean up my yard and haul away the debris, I am cleaning my basement and painting trim and doors. Loso will be by to give me a written quote on my roof, and within 2-3 weeks it will be started and finished.

Hopefully Ching and Loso can sell my house!

17 comments:

Colette, aka Lil Sis said...

Sounds like you at least got a good start onthings. That's awesome! Good luck with your list. I'm about to go tackle mine today.=) Have a great weekend!

Kat said...

That sounds like you had a fantastic evening with Ching. At least it seems like good news. I will keep my fingers crossed that you will sell the house for the first price he mentioned. He seems to have been really confident about everything. I know what you mean about the feeling to be able to pay off all your debts and I so hope it works out for you.

C-Unit said...

This is very exciting! Although I dont want you to go, Im excited for you and Boston is much closer than FL. I also read this before your next post and was confused as to who Loso is. But im sure Ill find out in a min! Love you! Have a good day!

Brian in Mpls said...

I am very excited for you debt sucks

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

wonderful news honey!

smiles, bee

DariDonovan said...

Hi Mags, my contest has been posted, bring all your readers and come enter!

FRIGGA said...

That's so exciting! Good luck on selling & finding a place you like even better!!! :-)

Bond said...

excellent start.. do you have a cement floor in the basement? If so, you may want to get some nice gray paint and paint it...it really just makes even a 'normal basement' look so much better

Danielle A. said...

YAY for a great start and less work to do than you thought. And I have to say... Ching and Loso? Wow. :)

Sounds like things are looking like they're going in a positive direction!!! :)

Melanie said...

Sounds like things are going great!!

btw- I usually take my shoes off at other people's homes just to be polite and not get their floors dirty.

katherine. said...

a lot of people I know request people take their shoes off at the door. Sometimes its cause they have kids running around...sometimes its a sand thing...and sometimes its a I-use-to-be-a-hippy thing.

Dixiechick said...

Sounds like a episode of "Flip This House"...

LOVE IT!!!

Linda said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Ching brings you in some 'ching' and that you can get everything paid off! You do have an adorable little house so I'm sure it will sell!

As for your bathroom, I loved the color myself! Loved the water pressure in the shower, too, as I have lousy water pressure in my shower despite the fact that it's a wicked cool clawfoot tub!

Patti said...

Hope that Ching will do the trick and you sell your house quickly and get out from that debt. We are in debt and I don't care for it!

Rocketstar said...

Good luck Mags. My advice would be CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. The new roof will also help.

Take down all personal pictures from the walls and make the place look as open and sparse as possible.

Mo said...

I'm glad that Ching & I are on the same page about the bathroom.

And I hope that Ching turns into Cha-Ching!!!!!!!!!!

Travis said...

Congratulations! This is great news. It sounds like your little house has done exactly what you needed it to do.