Sunday, August 05, 2007

Top Chef Recipe: Week 4

Ok....so this week there are no pictures because I can not get them to download from my camera. 8(

If you remember correctly, this week's winners were: Pork Loin, Artichokes, Sherry and Risotto. Confession #1-I am on the Atkins Diet. Confession #2-I did not eat the Risotto...I did taste it for seasoning, but that was all. ;)

Stuffed Pork with Sherry Cream Sauce & Mushroom Risotto


1 Pork Loin
1 Jar of Artichoke Hearts
5 Cloves Garlic
4 Pieces of Bacon
1 Shallot
Salt TT
Pepper TT

Fillet the pork loin to open it up-try to start your first cut low so you can make a 2nd cut once it is open. (This would be so much easier with the picture!) You are trying to open up the loin so that you can spread the filling.

In a food processor, pulse the Artichoke Hearts and garlic cloves until they form a lumpy paste. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you would like, you can also add the bacon bits that you will render in a pan in the next step as well. (I did and it was GOOD)

In a medium sized saute pan, render the bacon. (This means cook it until it's crispy so the fat comes out of it into the pan) If you'd like, reserve the bacon as stated above. Set pan aside.

Season the pork inside and out with salt and pepper. Spread the artichoke filling inside and roll it up jellyroll style. Secure with twine or toothpicks. Heat the pan you rendered the bacon in to medium high.

Sear the outside of the pork until golden brown. This will lock in the juices and preserve flavor. Transfer pork into a baking dish and finish in a 350 Degree oven for 10-30 minutes, depending on how big your loin is! (Desired cooking temp is 140)

Meanwhile, in the same pan saute off minced shallots. Deglaze the pan with sherry, making sure you take the pan off of the heat before pouring it in. Scrap all of the good brown bits off of the pan. Reduce to half.

Check your pork. If it is ready, take it out and allow it to rest for 5 minutes. Finish the sauce by adding cream, salt and pepper. Reduce until it coats the back of a spoon.

To serve, place Risotto on a plate and cut 3 thin rounds off of your pork. Arrange them so they are leaning against the risotto. Drizzle sauce over each piece of pork.

*I realize I did not give you specifics on the Sherry and Cream. That is because I'm a dope and don't measure! I always forget that when I do this, I have to remember to measure for you...I can tell you that the sherry is a little more than covering the bottom of the pan so it effectively deglazes the pan and has room to reduce. As far as the cream, I would say about 1/2 C. would do. Start with less and add more if needed. The sauce should be a creamy brownish pink color.

Next week, I promise to measure!

If you would like a recipe for Risotto, please email me. Risotto is an actual method of cooking rice and most are done the exact same way with different ingredients. I would be happy to help you if you would like!

5 comments:

Comedy + said...

Well, I missed another one. I mean I missed the voting. Drat. This sounds really, really good. You just need to invite all your readers over for dinner. We would have a grand time and an excellent meal. :)

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

mmm, sounds wonderful!

smiles, bee

Travis said...

I'm having the same problem with my camera! And now I've run out of room because it's holding my car show pictures hostage!

Drat!

This recipe sounds delicious as always.

Lois Grebowski said...

I don't measure, either!

Morgen said...

drooling now

I had problems up-loading pics into blogger posts this weekend.

My favorite line of your recipe: "depending on how big your loin is!"
:)