Thursday, August 02, 2007

Thursday Thirteen




Thirteen Things I Can Do Now That I'm Out of School...


1. Pluck and groom my eyebrows obsessively. You don't know how hard it was for me not to do this everyday for the past 15 months! And I not only am obsessed with grooming them, but I find it terribly relaxing...


2. Apply my nightly skin care routine. I used to fastidiously wash, exfoliate and moisturize my face and neck every night pretty much without fail. However, when you are living a life on the "run" these things get thrown to the side. I usually just washed my face in the shower at night with regular soap.


3. Read books that have nothing to do with cooking. Now, I love me a good cookbook or a story about how a chef came to be, but it's very refreshing to be able to read real novels again. They are good for my soul. (Brian and Rocket-stop making those faces)


4. Clean on a regular basis. Again, when you are just basically dropping your work clothes at the door and putting on a uniform your house gets pretty disorganized and disheveled. I'm still in that state now, but once I get out of my "I'm being lazy because I can" mode, my house will shine once again.


5. Mow my lawn on a more regular basis so that my neighbors do not petition again me. Or buy me a cow.


6. Shop. This isn't a good thing. I haven't been on a shopping spree in quite some time-mainly because I can't afford it, but also because I had no time. Well, I can now happily mozy around the stores looking at all of the lovelies that I can't buy.


7. Eat healthy. Or somewhat healthy. Dieting is pretty much non-existent at culinary school. Especially because you're eating so late at night! But, huzzah! I can now try to slim down and get healthier by eating earlier and eating food less in fat.


8. Exercise. Though I busted my ass in school mopping and running around (you SAW that sweat on my brow in last weeks pics, right?) it's not the same. I have a gym membership that I was gifted at Christmas and am happy to say that I am planning on going sometime next week, and then on a regular basis.


9. Wear jewelry. In the kitchen you can not wear rings or hoop earrings, both of which I wear daily. I wear 2 rings and 6 earrings. Over the course of the year I have lost all of my earrings and so I had to replenish them this week. I am now fully adorned and only have to take off my rings when I go to the club (though I take off my hoops too)


10. Save gas! I anticipate this to be rather significant as I drove 40 minutes total each day I went to school...3 days a week! So, Yay! (Even though I just paid $2.99 today!)


11. Nothing. Really. I don't have to study on Sundays after work. I don't have to read or study during lunch. I have no papers to write and so I can blog. Or read. Or sit and stare at the walls. It's very weird.


12. Everything. Really. On Monday's, Tuesday's and Thursday's. I can go to dinner with friends, see a movie, take a walk (oh how I miss walks!) or find a new restaurant. I can even go back to experimenting with my cooking like I used to do!


13. Sleep and take sleep aids. I can go to be before 1am (though I still can't very often) and I can take sleep meds early to ensure I have 8 hours between sleeping time and waking time. Being that I always got out of school at 11pm and home by 11:30 and wake up at 6:30 am, I never could do this....now, I'm catching up and refilling my sleep bank. 8)

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

9 comments:

Robin said...

Congratulations on finishing school! There's nothing like that sudden rush when you realize that you don't have to study anymore...

Nancy Lindquist-Liedel said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying your out of school time!!!!

maggie said...

Oh the FREEDOM you must feel.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

what fun stuff!

smiles, bee

FRIGGA said...

Grooming your eyebrows relaxes you? Oh man it stresses me out and causes nausia for me!! :P
Hey, I thought of you when I did my TT13 this week, so you have to come back so we can get an expert opinion in there too!

katherine. said...

so basically all of these things took a back seat to blogging while you were in school.....laughing.

Morgen said...

actually, a cow isn't good for the lawn.
They tear grass up, rather than cut it, and their poo is not only unsightly (and stinky) but leaves dead-grass patches behind.
Go for a sheep instead.
They cut the grass, rather than pull it up, with their teeth, and their poo is little pellets so that it goes down into the thatch and fertilizes the lawn more evenly.

you can take the boy off the farm, but you can't take the knowledge of crap (actually, manure) outta the boy...

A Friend said...

When I was in school there were two things I craved:
1. Reading a book for pleasure.
2. Sleeping (A LOT!)
I am so with you on those.
The eyebrow thing? Ouch!
Congrats! How exciting to be done and onto your dreams!

Julie said...

What a great list Mags! I'm not sure about the eyebrow thingy...but if you like it....go for it!

Now you can time some Mags time!

YAY!!!