The recipe: Serves 6: Appetizer
Garlic Powder 2 T.
Salt 1 T.
Olive Oil, For frying
Sweet Potato 1
Shallots, diced 1/2
Orange Juice 8 oz
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lime
White Wine 8 oz
Heavy Cream 1/4-1/2 C.
Butter, 2 sticks
White Pepper TT
1. Saute diced shallots in a small sauce pan until translucent-do not brown. Add orange juice, wine, lemon & lime juice and reduce to approximately 1/4 C.
2. Meanwhile, combine Cheerios, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a food processor. Pulse until fine.
3. Peel and cook sweet potato until soft. Drain and mash. Add 2 T. of the citrus liquid, 1/4 C. of heavy cream and butter. Season with salt and pepper TT. Set aside.
4. While potatoes are cooking, fry off thin moon shaped pieces of sweet potato for garnish. This can be done in a shallow pan simply with olive oil. Fry until crisp and season with salt. Set aside.
5. Slit scallops horizontally partially thru to make a pocket. A paring knife is best for this task.
6. Using a pastry bag fitted with a circle tip, fill the scallops with the sweet potato mash until full. Wipe off the excess that spills out.
7. Finish the sauce: Add heavy cream to reduced juice mixture. Reduce by about 1/2 and remove from the heat. Add butter 2 T. at a time until completely combined. Whisk until thick. Season with Salt and White pepper. *You may want to strain this prior to adding the cream and butter to take the shallots out-this is how it is classically made-lump free!
8. Using the Cheerios mix, bread the scallops on both sides. Sear them in a very hot skillet and olive oil until golden brown on each side. Cooking times vary based on scallop size.
9. Cook asparagus in boiling water-these should be al dente. Place 3 asparagus on a plate, perpendicular to each other. Top with scallop. Using the pastry bag, place a small dot of sweet potato mash on top, drizzle with citrus beurre blanc and garnish with sweet potato crisp.
*If this does not make sense, please email me-I'm very tired and may have skipped a step or forgotten something important!
**UPDATE: See? I'm so tired that I forget to say: IT'S YUMMY!!! The crispy sear on the outside with the garlic and salt with the sweetness of the tender scallops was fantastic. But THEN-a surprise inside! Creamy sweet potato mash with a hint of citrus...and the creamy sauce with the asparagus was great...I would serve this dish at a dinner party, and I would easily serve it to clients...