Saturday, July 14, 2007

Top Chef: Recipe 2

The winning ingredients...





The recipe: Serves 6: Appetizer


Sweet Potato Stuffed Scallops
with a
Citrus Beurre Blanc and Asparagus


Cheerios 1/4 C.
Garlic Powder 2 T.
Salt 1 T.
Pepper TT
Olive Oil, For frying
Sweet Potato 1
Shallots, diced 1/2
Orange Juice 8 oz
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lime
White Wine 8 oz
Heavy Cream 1/4-1/2 C.
Butter, 2 sticks
Salt TT
White Pepper TT
Asparagus 18
Scallops 6




The method:
1. Saute diced shallots in a small sauce pan until translucent-do not brown. Add orange juice, wine, lemon & lime juice and reduce to approximately 1/4 C.


2. Meanwhile, combine Cheerios, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a food processor. Pulse until fine.
3. Peel and cook sweet potato until soft. Drain and mash. Add 2 T. of the citrus liquid, 1/4 C. of heavy cream and butter. Season with salt and pepper TT. Set aside.
4. While potatoes are cooking, fry off thin moon shaped pieces of sweet potato for garnish. This can be done in a shallow pan simply with olive oil. Fry until crisp and season with salt. Set aside.
5. Slit scallops horizontally partially thru to make a pocket. A paring knife is best for this task.
6. Using a pastry bag fitted with a circle tip, fill the scallops with the sweet potato mash until full. Wipe off the excess that spills out.
7. Finish the sauce: Add heavy cream to reduced juice mixture. Reduce by about 1/2 and remove from the heat. Add butter 2 T. at a time until completely combined. Whisk until thick. Season with Salt and White pepper. *You may want to strain this prior to adding the cream and butter to take the shallots out-this is how it is classically made-lump free!
*
8. Using the Cheerios mix, bread the scallops on both sides. Sear them in a very hot skillet and olive oil until golden brown on each side. Cooking times vary based on scallop size.
9. Cook asparagus in boiling water-these should be al dente. Place 3 asparagus on a plate, perpendicular to each other. Top with scallop. Using the pastry bag, place a small dot of sweet potato mash on top, drizzle with citrus beurre blanc and garnish with sweet potato crisp.




*If this does not make sense, please email me-I'm very tired and may have skipped a step or forgotten something important!

**UPDATE: See? I'm so tired that I forget to say: IT'S YUMMY!!! The crispy sear on the outside with the garlic and salt with the sweetness of the tender scallops was fantastic. But THEN-a surprise inside! Creamy sweet potato mash with a hint of citrus...and the creamy sauce with the asparagus was great...I would serve this dish at a dinner party, and I would easily serve it to clients...

18 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

oh yum!! i actually had my doubts too! sorry...

smiles, bee

Susie PSU said...

Did you make this up?? I think I'm doing good to throw together a lasagne!!

Danielle said...

What I didn't see you mention was whether or not it was tasty. :)

Kudos though! Those were tough ingredients! :)

Mags said...

LOL Danielle-you're right! It WAS tasty! I made 2 and ate 'em both right up!

LOL...

Bond said...

ummmm excuse me Mags.....but....


YUM

Mags said...

Why thank you Bond Baby! It was yum!

And Susie, yes. I did make it up, though I have to say that citrus beurre blanc isn't something I just "created"...but it is my original idea and dish...

Kurt said...

Awesome Job. Looks Tasty. The Cherios frighten me but it looks great. Put up a vote for deserts only - I'd like to see what people decide...

Amazing Gracie said...

OOh, girl! You are indeed a pro! I wouldn't have dreamed of sweet potatoes and scallops together but that's why I do taco salad and you do this!!!

jolie-jordan said...

Oh my gosh this sounds and looks absolutely delicious. I will have to give it a try. You are terrific and indeed a top chef. I can hardly wait for the next one.
Thanks for sharing. Yummy
XxxJolie

Brian in Mpls said...

god that looks good

OrioleGal9 said...

Wow, very creative....maybe you should try to be on Iron Chef!

Asara said...

Ohhh my gosh, you are making me hungry!!! That looks so yummy!

Comedy + said...

Wow, I'm impressed. I didn't think you could pull this off. I should have known better. What an awesome job. Oh, love your new profile photograph too. Have a great day. :)

flipper said...

def. doing what your best at. verryy talented=)

crazy working mom said...

I still wish there were a way that we could all sample these yummy dishes. I would not even attempt this one! *LOL*

Great job, Mags. You are so totally awesome.

Morgen said...

See?
See!
People love this!

I will admit, I was skeptical with the ingredients list... but you did a fabulous dish!
And honey, you can make sweet potato ANYTHING for me any time!

the108 said...

I say it looks great but I think it needs.... more cowbell.

Travis said...

Those Cheerios had me flummoxed, but you really figured that part out. This recipe sounds great.