Friday, February 02, 2007

Comatose

Hi folks!

(First of all-this proves how tired I am...I called you "folks". I've never called anyone "Folks" before.)

I'm too tired to come up with a good post today. I hope you forgive me. This week was the first week of my (kind of) senior mod in culinary school. I say "kind of" because there's actually 5 mods so we're like, in senior purgatory or something. In any case, this mod is looking like it will quickly be one of my favorites:

Monday: French Regional Cuisine
Tuesday: Patissier
Thursday: Restaurant Management and Garde Manger

Last night kicked my ass. Since we have 2 classes, we were in the classroom lecturing for 2 hours. Then, when we finally got into the kitchen, chef did a demo on how to cut different fruits and veggies to make them look fancy for platters and centerpieces.

For those of you who are not familiar with what Garde Manger is, it's basically the "cold" kitchen...salads, cold sauces, platters...ice sculptures and the like too. So he was teaching us some pretty cool techniques.

9:30pm came around, and we still hadn't started! (School ends at 11pm) We had to make 2 platter (large!) and centerpieces. It was a little frustrating, but we all had fun. Being that there are only 4 of us now, it's a little easier b/c we all work super well together and are all serious about doing the best we can.

I learned how to make a lotus flower out of a cantaloupe. It's so beautiful and simple too. Also, a spiral cut on a pineapple, as well as a fancy smancy topper with the pineapple top.

We also made our own mayo, which I think is gross. But it did taste fresh in the dressings we made. He made us whip them by hand! I have to tell you, I feel like Popeye today!

We didn't get out of school until 11:20pm. I got home at 11:45pm. And so you see, I am very sleepy.

So, please forgive me for this rambling post. I will, however, give you a recipe. I don't have my book, so I'm just remembering it off the top of my head, but oh my GOODNESS it is yummy!

Blue Cheese Dressing


1 1/4 C. Fresh or store bought Mayo (If you want a recipe for mayo, email me)
1/4 C. Buttermilk
1/2 T. Lemon Juice
1/2 T. Worcestershire Sauce
Tobasco (hot sauce), as you like it
1 t. Garlic, finely minced (I added more-actually, a lot more-2-3 cloves!)
1 t. Onion, finely minced
Salt To Taste (TT)
White Pepper TT
5 ounces Blue Cheese or Gorgonzola, crumbled

1. Combine all ingredients except for cheese until well mixed.
2. Fold in cheese. Taste and test seasoning.
3. Refridgerate until needed.

It's not like the overly heavy, gloopy (but still yummy) store bought dressing you're used to. The Worcestershire sauce really gives it a nice flavor, as does the garlic and onion. Give it a try!

Have a wonderful Friday everyone...

11 comments:

amy said...

Thanks for the recipe and im glad you are having fun. you commented on a wordless wednesday on my blog and I justwanted to say hello

One who listens said...

Can I share my recipe for chilli mayo?

You get some Hellmanns Mayonaise, and you add some chilli powder. It tastes really, really good with Tacos or Doritos, but you can pretty much dunk any type of crisps in it and it improves the flavour.

Not a good diet food, though. :)

Owl.

kristarella said...

Sounds great! Have you got opinions on kinds of mayo (whole egg, light etc)?

Mags said...

Owl-you've really got to like Mayo for that recipe, huh?

Kris: Any mayo would work, however, most people in the culinary business would tell you full fat is best for flavor and texture, so I'd go with whole egg...but to make it lighter certainly use light if you wish.

One who listens said...

Yes, it is a requirement that you like mayo and chilli mixed, too. ;)

Oh, and the folks thing: I'm used to being called folks. It's a fairly normal thing to say round here.

Owl.

OrioleGal9 said...

Yummy!!! I too have made blue cheese dressing before and it does have a much lighter flavor. Definitely not overpowering.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

well if we're not folks then what are we? and please call me when dinner is ready, i love bleu cheese dressing!

smiles, bee

the108 said...

Just having you here makes my day :-)

Mags said...

I guess "folks" just isn't a word I use. It's not a very "CT" word for some reason, so it's weird for me to say it.

But you can be "folks" if it makes you happy.

And, thank you 108. That makes ME happy.

Skittles said...

I think learning how to do all that fancy fruit and veggie designs would be cool! Can we get a picture of something you've done?

Chili powder in mayo??? Hmmm..

LOVE blue cheese dressing, too :)

Mags said...

Skittles: I don't have any pictures yet, but I will be practicing soon, perhaps this weekend. As soon as I have pics, I'll post 'em!