Sunday, January 28, 2007

Recipe: Pommes Fondantes

"The English translation of this dish, "Skillet-roasted potatoes" doesn't do it justice. The literal French translation, "Melting Potatoes", may sound wacky, but it does give you a sense of the creamy texture that you get when you cook potatoes this way."

Potatoes are simmered in broth until tender and the smooshed and cracked open to allow more yumminess to seep in. A rich, brothy flavor is achieved as the liquid evaporates. Because it's simply flavored with rosemary, olive oil and salt and pepper-you may think you've died and gone to heaven...

Serves 4-6


2# baby Yukon Gold or Red Bliss Potatoes (No larger than 1 1/2- 1 3/4 inches in diameter)
2 C. Chicken Broth
2 T. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 T. Unsalted Butter
1 Sprig of fresh Rosemary
1 t. Kosher salt
1-2 T. Fresh chives, chopped
Method:
1. Wash and clean potatoes. Arrange as many potatoes as will fit in a non-stick skillet. *Make sure you have some "wiggle room" in the pan-remember, we will be smooshing them later!
*
2. Add all of the ingredients except the chives. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium heat and cover the pan, leaving it slightly ajar. Cook until potatoes are fork tender (about 15-20 minutes)
*
*The liquid should still be halfway up the potatoes at this point-if it isn't, add more broth until it does.
*
3. Remove the pan from the heat and press each potato with a flat edge (a dry measuring cup works great!) until it just cracks open. Set the pan over medium-high heat and cook, uncovered, until all of the liquid evaporates and the potatoes have browned on one side.
*
4. Gently turn the potatoes and brown them on the other side, 4-5 minutes.
*
5. Remove from pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chives and additional sea salt (optional).
*

13 comments:

the108 said...

This sounds DELICIOUS! I'm a potato freak.... thanks for posting the recipe! I'll def be checking this one out :-)

crpitt said...

looks good, any idea what type of english potato would be good? i dont think we have them varieties here.

Mags said...

108: Eat them in good health. And also, enjoy them, 'cause I can't have 'em!!

Crpitt: I'm not terribly familiar with what varities are grown over there-but aim to find a small, round potato. We call young potatoes "New" so try to find something like that. Also, if you ever roast a potato, those will be good, as that's what we use Red Bliss for a lot of times.

Sorry I couldn't be more help-if you have a specific potato in mind, tell me the variety and I can give you my opinion on it...

crpitt said...

We have new potatoes!
erm main varieties here are king edwards, maris piper and your average cheap white potato.
But thankyou for trying! i am cooking the loup de mer now, its other name is Rock Turbot or sea catfish. Have you heard of it? because i hadn't.

Peg said...

Oh, YUM! I've got to go to the store tomorrow, and now I'm making those for dinner tomorrow!! Thanks for the recipe!

Congrats also on Bestest Blog! I've enjoyed your blog from the day I stumbled on it (I think it was a TT...) Cheers to you!

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

congratulations on bestest blog!!! quite an honor..... smiles. bee

crpitt said...

Congratulations on Bestest Blog!!!!

Skittles said...

That sounds soooooo good! Easy too!

KathleenM said...

Thanks for this recipe. So simple, so tempting, and so diet-legal!

KathleenM said...

Thanks for this recipe. So simple, so tempting, and so diet-legal!

Mags said...

I'm glad you all like it. If you make it, I'd love to hear how it came out...

OrioleGal9 said...

Congrats on bestest blog!

Recipe sounds yummy..totally not on my diet either though. I got fitted for my wedding dress and knowing that I'm trying to lose some weight anyway before the wedding, we ordered a size to small...the pressure is on!

Bond said...

OH THANKS ... now I am off to buy potatos....