Monday, October 16, 2006

Back 2 the Middle & Around Again

tonight's challenge:

Blackened Steak Sandwich on a toasted baguette with caper butter, served with Lyonnaise Potatoes.

I'm not sure if you remember, but on my last practical, I earned 100%.

And tonight, I did it again. The only one. 100%

My steak came out perfect-It was a thick piece of meat so after searing it in the pan to make it black, I had to finish it in the oven to get it cooked medium rare, the preferred cooking temperature in culinary school.

The potatoes were cake to make, especially because I made them for my breakfast practical 6 weeks ago.

I toasted the baguette in the oven instead of grilling it because I thought it would give a better texture-crunchy on the outside but still moist and soft on the inside from the caper butter I made and smeared all over it before baking it off.

I was right. It was incredible.

3 slices of juicy, dripping with Cajun flavor steak on top of that break was beyond good.

I've been trying to find good picture books lately for plating ideas. I have 2 on order, but in the mean time, I'm left with my own creativity. I was told to garnish my plate with lettuce, tomato slices and red onion.

I hate lettuce and tomato on my sandwiches. Mainly because of the texture and the messiness. So instead of just keeping the lettuce whole and flat, I chiffonaded it, which means I rolled it up and sliced it into long, thin slices-much like shredding, but more...together.

I made a nest of greens in the middle of the plate, took 2 small, thin tomato slices and overlapped them so they were slightly leaning up. I then too the red onion which I juillenned and stuck them straight up. They resembled tail feathers. The sandwich was cut at an angle and I laid them at the top and finished the plate with 4 silver dollar sized potato slices rounding 1/2 of the nest of lettuce.

It was beautiful. Even Know-it-all said, "Wow, your plate looks really good Killer. I bet you're going to get a kick ass grade."

And I did. And I'm psyched.

And my kitten is knocking something over, and so this story is now over....

12 comments:

One who listens said...

Sounds much nicer than my sausage sandwich, that's for sure. :)

My mouth is watering at your delicious description. :)

I'm hungry now, despite only just having finished breakfast.

Owl.

Mags said...

Haa haa! My food makes people hungry just b/c of the description!

I must be good.

;O

OrioleGal9 said...

Hmm, I took steak out for tonights dinner and that sounds heavenly!

Mags said...

Oh, it was.

Make a rub for the steak with

1T paparyka
1t of each:
onion powder
garlic powder
thyme
salt
cayenne
1/2 t of each:
black pepper
white pepper

Then put it on your steak. Heat your pan to what I call, "wicked hot" and then put the steak in it and ladle 2 oz of butter over it. There will be smoke.

You will think you did it wrong.

If you have a cast iron skillet, you should use that.

Cook 2 minutes on each side, until a blacked crust forms. Finish in the oven until cooked to your liking.

Let meat rest, slice and serve on crusty bread lightly toasted with:

2 oz softened butter
1 T capers

Yummy!!!!!

OrioleGal9 said...

Awhhhh..I printed it...and I know Keith will love it! I do have a cast iron skillet (love it!) Did you grease the pan at all first?

Mags said...

No, don't grease it first. Heat it up good, place your steak in there and ladle over 2 oz melted butter (clarified if you can, but realistically, regular would work)

Then wait 2 minutes or so and flip it, ladeling more butter over it. I used less than 2 oz the second time b/c I still had some left in the pan.

OMG it was to die for.

Segue said...

Sandwiches are an underrated food.

A good sandwich combines ingredients that compliment one another, in appropriate portions, in an attractive yet functional presentation.

I will never understand why sandwiches get written off as the redheaded stepchild of the restaurant menu. Personally, I'd pick a good sandwich over an entree in most instances. Actually, that's fine with me, because sandwiches are usually the cheapest thing on the menu.

Mags said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mags said...

I agree with you, though I don't often order a sandwich. I think they are under rated, but also not done well.

If I ever have a business, I'll call one of my sandwiches the Segue.

That'll make sense anyway, because I love making desserts, and I could say it's the perfect segue to...and it'll be my signature dessert.

You and your fridge...sorry, I mean Amanda can come be honored guests.

OrioleGal9 said...

I made the steak last night...yummy!!! Although I admit I didn't make myself a sandwich, just let the caper butter melt on top after I sliced (watching my carbs) and it was delicious!!!

Mags said...

I'm so glad you liked it!!!

kristarella said...

Yum! Perhaps I shall do that when I'm inclined to buy steak (a touch expensive!).

Well done on your 100%!!!