Sunday, February 19, 2006

Speak Up for the Chubby Kid!

I just got back from reading Ruben's blog which led me to Tai's blog on the same subject. When I started commenting to Tai, I remembered how passionate I am about fighting for the underdog...

And don't get me wrong, I'm not a saint in any way...some of my funniest times with my friends are when we are making fun of people. I suppose the difference is that the people I associate with would NEVER (did you get that, never) pick on someone merely to be mean, or to get our jollies.

This was my comment:

I'm having trouble with this-only because your point is well taken-take away their audience, and who will they have to "perform" for...

Yet, I still feel it's wrong to not say ANYTHING. I'm not talking about if someone has a gun etc...those are extreme situations. But in everyday life, when I hear people disrespecting others-it's hard for me to say, "Ah-they'll never change" and move on.

Because if they aren't made to change-if bad comments and disrespect becomes OK and acceptable-change will NEVER happen.

Hate will grow.

But if they had guns-yeah-I'd totally shut up.

What's the saying....Be the change you want to see...if I hear someone making fun of a chubby little boy and don't say anything-if I make it OK and let the offenders know that I DON'T CARE...why would they stop?

If someone overhears the name calling and the ridicule, and notices, too, that there are no ramifications for their actions-that someone may just join in or try to push the envelope in another situation.

HATE IS A CANCER THAT EATS AWAY AT SOCIETY.

Stop it in its tracks. Don't let it spread. Be strong, be kind, and don't allow others to live any other way.

1 comment:

Infantiles said...

I'm with you is a CANCER!!!