Friday, February 03, 2006

A Simple Plan

I think that everyone has days where they long for a simpler time. I know I do.

I long for a time when the biggest decisions I had to make were whether or not I should spend the day playing in the sprinkler or playing hide and go seek. And the only thoughts I had about romance involved Ken and Barbie.

I long for the slow, lazy days in my PJ's and a time when working on a computer only meant I was playing games.

If only my world today involved hopscotch and jacks, bubbles and jump ropes...

There are days when I miss my Mother's faked sadness-the emotion I spied from around a bush, just after she read my "run away" note. It'
s not so much the reaction I miss, but the hugs and fanfare of my return.

It's easy to get caught up in a grown-up life-something we all vow we'll never do on those slow, lazy days or when we're lying on our backs looking up at the clouds deciphering the bunnies and ships and castles that hide within their billows.

And sometimes, it's near impossible to remember the children we once were. But it's the only way.

...Remember....Reinvent...Relive...

...And run through your yard with airplane arms, give someone a noogie and blow bubbles in your chocolate milk. Do cartwheels when you're happy and ask someone if they have a "staring problem". Build a fort with your bed sheets and read a book with a flashlight or color something with Crayons...

But never forget the child you still have in your heart.

And surely a smile will follow.

8 comments:

OrioleGal9 said...

How beautiful and so true.

It's raining down here and I now have the urge to go running through it. If only I was somewhere secluded so that I could do it naked!

I try to be a kid at home all the time. I might just go out and buy some crayons and a coloring book for this weekend. We're going to Disney! (although I'm working tomorrow) but we'll still have fun even with the rain.

Mags said...

T-It's raining here today too and I do want to jump in puddles. The only thing stopping me is knowing that my shoes will be sloshy all day!

Sad.

I'm jealous that you will at Disney this weekend-but have fun!!!!!!!

megan said...

Mags, I have been blessed with children of my own and one of the most wonderful things about having kids is re-living childhood through them. Remembering my own days of bubbles, blankets, clouds and cartwheels is nothing compared to being able to watching my own child delight in them. My own childhood for the most part is something I'd rather not re-live but my children's childhoods will be what I hold in my heart.

Mags said...

Megan, I am glad that even though you had a less than perfect childhood that you are able to still pull things to rely on. It makes me happy that you have a bazillion kids to help you with this.

OrioleGal9 said...

With all the rain we had today. I will definitely be jumping in puddles all the way to my car! We've had so much rain, streets are flooded and the roof on a Bed, Bath & Beyond store collapsed.

I'll have that sloshy feeling in my toes.

Mags said...

OMG! Gotta love Florida weather!!

Janet said...

Ok, I left a comment but I don't know where it went. I hate when that happens.:( It was awhile ago so I don't even remember what I said, just that I said it.

I think it's important not to lose sight of the childhood innocence we once had. Sure it might not be about the same things, but even adults have a little kid inside of them, dying to get out.

Mags said...

Janet:

Thank you for your comment! (I didn't get an email about the other-it must have been gobbled up) I agree with you-everyone has an inner child-it's just whether or not they can find them...

And also, thank you for your comment on the Pyschic!

Hope to see more of you here.