Tuesday, February 14, 2006

it's happy bunny

My favorite chapter of a book I got for Valentine's Day...






I remember when Valentine's Day meant doling out little cards to all of my classmates. Every year we'd make a special "Valentine Holder" out of construction paper. My favorite was the year we wove pink and red strips into a heart and attached it to a black backing, making the perfect pocket for our treasures.

And you if you were going to participate in "Ye Olde Valentine Exchange", you had to bring one in for everyone. Even the smelly kid. And yes, even Cootie Boy.

The challenge then became how you let your best friend know how awesome they were, and how to tip off your secret crush on the fact that you wanted to meet them under the slide for some serious elementary school style makin' out.

This was usually done by picking the biggest, most bodacious valentine in the box-and adding glitter. No one but the love of your life got glitter and so instead of signing your name, you'd write, LOVE "Guess Who" or simply a "?". You'd wonder if they were smart enough to figure out that the glitter that's been stuck to your cheek all day is the same that adorns their card.

Years later, and several relationships under our belts, we realize that boys hate glitter, and even at the ripe age of 8, was plotting just how he'd get you back. The valentine-you discovered, was thrown away, his hands now raw from the scrubbing and washing it took to get the glitter off.

Ahh, Valentine's Day...

Oh, and if glitter was a sign of secret love and affection to us as adults-Megan, you'd totally be my bitch. 8-)

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I hope that the only thing that sparkles is the love in your hearts. (Awwww)

6 comments:

Megan said...

Mags- I think you just asked me to be your Valentine. And my answer is YES!

Wow, the power of glitter.

Mags said...

YESSSSSSSSSS!

(Slap hands!)

Marti said...

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Ruben said...

Happy V day MAgs and i like the look of your blog.

Madeline said...

hehehe! i love your post. lol. I am one of Hamels' students, by the way. Just stopped by to check it out. I think I might stop by a little more often! hehe. Happy Valentine's Day, magz!

Mags said...

Marti and Ruben-thanks you!

Madeline-I know who you are!!! ;) You are welcome here anytime! I liked your poem "Stolen Innocense"...

Mags