Monday, February 06, 2006

Calypso Bay

Friday night my little sister convinced me (yes, convinced me-with her very well-honed guilt skills) to go see a Reggae band at a local bar we sometimes go to. (I would have posted this earlier but my computer is stupid) We had a really good table right on the dance floor and so we got to see pretty much the whole first half of their set without anyone in front of us.



Which was great, because we not only got a musical experience, but also a theatrical one. During "I Shot The Sheriff" the lead singer actually "acted" out the words, complete with finger pistols, stick 'em ups and yes, the death of the sheriff. QUITE amusing.

We also were so lucky to see the sexy dance moves the female vocalist had. Ok, I'm guess it's not really sexy to anyone, unless your last name is Perdue. (She chicken danced-keep up now)

But then this guy kept randomly standing on different spots of the dance floor. Not dancing, not even head bopping-just standing. Then he'd go back to his friends.



And these people:


Just finished making out. 8-)

But the best was that I met a boy. He doesn't say much and I suspect he's got a drug problem, but he was really very sweet. I particularly love his dreds. (He's the one on the right)


He and his friend (not the guy with him-that guy's one of the bass players) walked into the room and literally stood right in front of me. His butt was so close to my table, he could have clenched his cheeks and spilled my drink. I waited a few minutes to see if they'd notice that they were blocking me and when they didn't, I went over and asked him to slide over.

His response, though I could never duplicate it-ever-was, "Ohhhhhh. (Long pause) Yeah, man.......yeaaaahhhhhh." I said "Thanks" and sat back down, only to see that he wasn't moving. Luckily, a few minutes later he told his friend they were blocking us and he moved.

He made me laugh so I made my sister take his picture. I was going to get another one with him, but he went off to smoke pot with the band at their intermission, and I wasn't having any part of that.

So, that was my Friday night. I learned that no matter how hard you try to stay young, you age. And though you may not view yourself as old-younger kids do. I guess it just hits me more because my sisters are 23 and 17-and when I hang out with them they don't seem to notice/care-but when other people their age are brought it-well, that's a whole different ball game. And also-it's weird when people turn their backs on a conversation.

Oh well-DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY MON!

4 comments:

megan said...

Mags, I'm glad you had a good time this weekend. I must admit I am slightly confused. The band "acted out" I Shot The Sheriff?? ok, weird! The woman vocalist did the chicken dance? ok, weird! A guy randomly walked on the dance floor and stood motionless? ok, weird! But the thing that confuses me the most is the dreadlocks kid. You think he's cute?!?!?!? Sweet maybe, but cute? The only thing I agree with you on is that although I hate to admit it, we DO all age and it sucks.

Mags said...

Megan:

I'm disappointed you couldn't read my sarcasm in the whole, "This dirty kid is cute" thing.

Yuck! NO WAY IS HE REALLY CUTE.

And yes, all of the "weirdness" was true.

Ruben said...

Mags you have some great photos.

C-Unit said...

You forgot to mention the wiff of pot we smelt whenever the "manager" of the band opened the door!