Friday, December 09, 2005

Tea In China

Give, and it will be given to you... for the measure you give will be the measure you get back. ~Luke 6.38
I recently came across someone who mentioned that he snowblowed his neighbors driveway last year on a whim to be nice. He then followed that statement up with: "But I never got a 'thank you' so needless to say, I only do my driveway now."
I understand completely that I often expect too much from people-that I expect that people are good and caring and that they want to help others. And I understand that people fall short in my eyes too often, and it's my own fault.
However, I believe this person has something wrong with his brain and quite possibly his heart.
First, let me recap. He did a good deed-without being asked. This is a step toward greatness in my mind. I'll even say it's sexy. People who do things for others without being asked and without provocation is one of the most wonderful qualities in a human being.. But he clearly was not doing it out of the goodness of his heart. He was looking for recognition.
"Needless to say, I only do my driveway now." I understand that it was impolite for his neighbor to not say thank you. (This is another topic for another post) However, if he was looking for a thank you, perhaps he should have knocked on the door and said, "I snowblowed your driveway, you can thank me now." He might as well have. He did not do it simply so his neighbors life would be easier that day.
Doing things for people to make them smile, or to stop them from frowning should be the only reason for doing something kind. Seeing their cheeks twitch and the light in their eyes should be your reward. And, if you do something anonymously, knowing that the receiver is most likely shocked and touched by the gift/act is worth more than any tea in China.
Give without any thought of return, and feel your heart soar.

6 comments:

Hawaiianmark said...

Gonna have to keep reminding myself....

Be satisfied in the doing of the deed, not someone noticing it or not...

Excellent!

Aloha

Hamel said...

The thanks should come from within, not without. Yes, it was impolite for the person not to thank him/her; but in my mind it doesn't mean I stop doing the good deed unless I'm thanked. After all, doing good should never be for the noticing, it should be for the sake of being good.

Mags said...

Right on boys.

One who listens said...

I love doing stuff for people without getting any reward for it. :)

Heh heh heh. :)

Owl.

Hamel said...

Owl:

You are so sneaky. In a good way. :)

aka_monty said...

I agree with you 100%! If the deed is done without being asked, then while a thank you is nice, it shouldn't be expected.

That negates the whole purpose of doing something out of the kindness of your heart. :)