Friday, November 11, 2005

Schooner Stories

I learned a valuable lesson the other night at rehearsal when my fellow cast members and I had some down time to chat.

Never let them know you're afraid of ghosts.

Let me set the scene for you: It's dark, it's creepy and it's old. That pretty much sums it up. The scene I am in takes place on the LA Dunton, an authentic North Atlantic fishing schooner which dates back to the 1920's (I think). It's very beautiful and majestic but it's also creepy. We spend our time below deck in the captains quarters, which obviously houses bunks. These bunks are set into the sides of the boat and have benches up against them, which is where we sit.

I simply mentioned that the boat was a little creepy at night, and that I'm nervous someone is going to jump out of the sleeping quarters...and badda bing! We got ghost stories.

Lucky me, right?

For those of you who don't know, I am the biggest wimp in the world when it comes to ghosts. I debated even writing this because I don't want to anger the spirits...

So, it was a dark, stormy night (really) in a 1920's fishing schooner, and you know SOMEONE had to die in there at some point of scurvy or lice or SOMETHING...and my husband in the play, Dr. Evil, tells story after story of ghost sightings he and his family have experienced. AND THEN he begins to tell stories of haunts that LIVE at MYSTIC, the VERY PLACE WE ARE.

Freak*. I wanted to promptly get up and bonk him on the head and yell, "Don't you know they don't like it when you talk about them?!?!" But I restrained myself. I think I did a good job of hiding just how freaked out I really was by deflecting it with humor, but, just so you know, at one point-I almost peed myself.

Not really. But it was scary.

*By freak, I mean, well, you're a freak, but I still value you as my fake husband the captain, and fellow scene player. 8-)

4 comments:

One who listens said...

You realise, of course, that he reads this blog, and so will know now just how scared you actually were?

Comfort yourself with the knowledge that you have a mark on your soul which protects you from harm from the dead, and from death itself, too! :)

Mags said...

Yeah...I know. But they didn't seem to care that I was scared when they were telling the stories...so I don't think it'll increase.

They should just know that if they jump out and scare me, I'll quit and therefore will ruin our scene...(that should stop some of it Owl, don't ya think??)

Dr. Evil said...

To my dear wife,
Freak eh?
Well I have been called worse. You must of course realize that it was not my intention to freak you out. Actually I consider it a compliment for I know if I really tried you would have to change your pants. I am a Halloween God and I do enjoy scaring people. But it was not my intention nor will it be in the future. In all seriousness the LA Dunton is not scary. Try the Charles W. Morgan, over 100 years old, lots of deaths and missing persons, etc. Old creaky and spooky. Ask some time and I will give you a tour, if you dare. (Insert evil laugh sound) But I digress, sorry to freak you out and sorry I took so long to respond to your comment. To quote Michael Keaton in Bat Man, "My life is ... complicated."
Dr. Evil

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read rosacea alcoholics Yasmin bodrum hotel section Inventor of no stitch cataract surgery gerritts appliances Mercedes ac york kit Plans to build a slot machine stand Giving a child zithromax and cough medicine home security systems $9.95 month air purifier Shareware business card Dangers xanax nursing home abuse attorneys