Saturday, November 05, 2005

Post It Notes

Somebody recently asked me how I stay positive and how I keep my laughter, even after all that's happened in the last 3 years. The true answer is, "I don't quite know." But what I do know is that keeping laughter in your life is the only option if you want to be happy. As I looked around my desk yesterday afternoon, I realized that I keep little notes and sayings posted on my walls, mixed in with pictures of family and friends to keep me smiling. Here are some of the Post It Notes of my life:

"Please Note:
I will give you a million bazillion dollars if you deny this request." A plea to deny a time off request to do something unpleasant but obligitory.

Live each day with a little less fear & a little more faith...words I try to live by.

Faith, trust & pixie dust. A Tinkerbell pin I stuck to my cubicle because I think it sums up how I'd like to live. (Though I'd like a little more pixie dust)

Ad don't need to be renewed-just make changes-Mags

"Yo why are you talking like a gang member? I don't make no stinkin changes bro. Love Fiddy Cent" An error I made on a note to employees and the response I got back.

Friends are the family we choose for ourselves. March 8th, the day I hired Judy, note from her inspirational quotes calendar.

I've never seen a bucket-o-pickles that big. The Halvah is heavenly. You are heavenly too. From Skinny Pete, Judy's husband, in regard to the b-day gift I gave him from his favorite Jewish Deli.

You will move to a wonderful new home within the year. 8, 7, 17, 37, 41, 45, a fortune from a cookie right before I started dating again.

Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough. A quote I like.

For there is hope for a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again and that its tender shoots will not cease. Even though its roots grow old in the earth, and it's stump die in the dust, yet at the first scent of water, it will bed and put forth branches like a young plant. Job 14:7-9, Self explanatory, really.

If it's a good idea...go ahead and do it. It is much easier to apologize than it is to get permission. March 21-Right before making decision about buying a plane ticket for an improptu trip to Disney-from the calendar.

To pray only when in peril is to use safety belts only in heavy traffic. July 1st, from the calendar.

Kindness-pass it on! Random acts of kindness poster I made for employees.

..but it is a question of being patient, of letting time take its course, we should have learnt this once and for all, that destiny has to make many turnings before arriving anywhere, destiny alone knows...From Blindness by Jose Saramago and God, probably.

The garden is growth and change, and that means loss as well as constant new treasures to make up for a few disasters. July 10th, on rebuilding.

Even cowards can endure hardship; only the brave can endure suspense. July 12, on not knowing.

Help us to have perfect trust in your protecting love and strengthening power so that nothing may frighten or worry us. A prayer I hid under my keyboard at work for when I feel scared.


How much would you give me if I bludgeoned her to death with my monkey? On friends sticking together, really...

5 comments:

One who listens said...

Speaking of kindness, pass it on, do you recall the film a while back called "Pay it Forward" about a little boy who had an idea, and made a difference the world over?

I never saw it, but I heard about it.

I stay positive and cheerful by a constant effort of will. I smile all the time, and hope to get smile wrinkles on the sides of my eyes. :)

Mags said...

Yes, Owl, it's a good movie. I like the message more than the actual movie though...

Here's to smile wrinkles...

C-Unit said...

I happen to love that movie, and recommend you go out and rent it!

ducklet said...

god, i read that fast. i thought you had a note that said, "Kidneys! Pass 'em on!" Which was funny, cause one of my favorite sayings lately, when dealing with tyring to overcome adversity when you don't have enough resources is 'Like my grandmother always said, you only need one good kidney.' (stolen from RunJenRun)

Hamel said...

A great batch of quotes to live by, Mags.

Thanks for more wonderful insight.