Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Capture Your Spark

Do you know what it means to touch someone’s life? Do you believe that it can be done in 30 minutes? What about 5 minutes or even 60 seconds?

I do. I believe that everyone has the ability to touch a life no matter who you are or what your social status. It does not matter what degree you hold, or how much money you make; it does not even matter if you have friends or if you are a loner.

What matters is that you are you.

Somebody, somewhere will be searching-sometimes unknowingly-for the one piece of “youness” that stands out from the rest. It may be the “sign” they’ve been waiting for or simply an affirmation that people are still inherently good. It may even be as insignificant as wearing your hair a certain way, or the color it reflects in their eyes.

But they will remember.

And you may never know.


And that is okay.

We all have the ability to change a life, to alter a path, or create a memory. In a moment of clarity, I realized that not everyone believes this. It came to me in a wrap-up session after my dress rehearsal on Monday. There are 2 directors: a ‘Head’ Director and an ‘Artistic’ Director.

The head director is spunky and theatrical and her ideas always make sense-they always make the scene ‘fit’ better than they did before. I enjoy her input and am grateful for the coaching she provides.

The artistic director is witty and funny and charming. He inspires me to live.

The difference between these two people is this: The HD believes people can change lives. The AD knows what it feels like to do so.

I am having trouble communicating to you the feeling we all get when we listen to the AD, but I can tell you that people forget to breath. And it is not because what he is saying is life altering or he's revealing the formula for a secret healing potion for cancer-it is simply because he has learned how to capture and contain the spark that occurs when you make magic for someone.

I’d forgotten that I know how to do that. It’s been a long, long time since I stocked a hotel room with baby food or sprinkled pixie dust from an elevator to a little girls villa. And I am grateful to the AD for reminding me that I do not have to be at Walt Disney World in order to capture my spark.

Thank you AD. The twinkle I saw in your eyes on Monday gave me goose bumps. I hope you caught that spark.

6 comments:

One who listens said...

Sometimes, it'll be someone who reads your blog that gets touched by your spark. :)

On a totally unrelated note, I drew you a robot and a leaf. It's not in the book, but it's something I wanted to see if I could draw. :)

Oh, and the verification word was "guostrrg". Spooky, eh? ;)

Owl.

PS. Oh, and a bird too.

Mags said...

8-)

Aw. Thanks Owl!

And I SAW your drawing. It's a masterpeace on a post it.

C-Unit said...

Something tells me you have created many memories and dont know it!!

Hamel said...

Mags, you've sparked others for sure. What a beautiful post, and reminder.

Hawaiianmark said...

I once wrote about a french lady who came to the station for a Blood Pressure - we do 'em for free.

She tole me -"dont ever lose that spark"

Pretty cool stuff from aperson you met 2 minutes ago...

Aloha.

And -Mahalo!

Mags said...

Mark: Cool stuff indeed. Those are the ones that really get to me too.