Friday, October 14, 2005

Mucky Waters Run Clear

I am sure you can relate to those days-maybe even weeks, months or God forbid years-that you feel as though you angered some saint or guardian angel and now they're getting you back.

That's how this past week was for me. Being sick and basically isolated except for a few phone calls from family and friends and a trip to the doctor, I started to feel lonely. And bored. And tired of laying around waiting to feel better. And I whined to my God asking for Him to help me feel better.

And then my basement flooded. It rained so steadily that it poured into my basement in record volume-past the knees! In fact, it was so high that it climbed a step-so high that it knocked my furnace out and shut off any hope of having hot water. Or heat. And it guaranteed a visit from the furnace doctor. And, it made my house smell like oil.

This story has a happy ending however, because I am blessed to have such wonderful friends. I am continuously humbled by their generosity and the depths of their hearts. I sit in awe of a family who, faced with their own "I pissed off a saint" week, skips no beat to wade through mucky, oily water, simply so that I do not have to. (Ok. There's a small part of me that knows he just wanted to go to Home Depot-but otherwise, I'm serious.)

I've also been blessed with other wonderific friends, some old, some new, some I didn't even know I had. A friend who makes me constantly laugh, even when I want to bury my head and cry, a friend who sees things a mom would see, but treats me like an adult, a friend who reacts to my jokes with big laughs and lifts my spirits b/c I lifted his, a friend who is silent until he sees I'm in need and in his silent way, makes me know he's there. I am even blessed with a friend who doesn't even interact with me daily but always seems to pop up at just the right time-somehow using her 'oldest friend' powers to know that I need her. And of course, my silly, silly sisters, who are the dearest friends of all, who know when to back off and let me be alone.

My basement is draining, my heat will be fixed. But know that I love you all very much, and that you are the reason I smile and the reason my heart beats.

Corny-I know-I'll be cynical again soon, k?

4 comments:

One who listens said...

What about mad friends that you've never met in real life, but whom exist somewhere out there in the void of the internet, but who still make you smile?

How about them?

Mags said...

Oh. Them? I can't talk about them. 8-)

Of course! The "I'm just as random as you are" blog friends who crack me up and keep me distracted! Oh yes-they too are cool.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site!
»

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » »