Thursday, August 25, 2005

Too Much Wine

*Gasp*

According to this study, about 1/2 of the college freshman studied "lack at least some reading comprehension skills" indicating they would have a hard time with their basic core classes. At first I was going a completely different direction with this post, but after a glass of wine, I'm thinkin' "Why would you put it that way?"

I mean, "lack at least some reading compreshension skills?" That means that they had none? I don't think so. I'm sure even those with slight LD's (or even significant ones) have some reading comprehension skills. (Especially because later in the article, it states that "68% ...indicate they are well prepared for freshman English composition courses."

I know, I know, Comp 101 is not so much reading stories etc, but more writing complete sentences and such. However, you would think the 2 would be sort of related. I mean, usually those people who can't read can't write...right? I guess some people can write more simple stories than other, based on their level of knowledge, but I still have to believe that people who have the ability to write also have the ability to read.

On the other hand, and this is totally the wine talking at this point, some people are story tellers by nature. Some, in fact, are illiterate and pull their stories from within, based on their life. I supposed these people, (especially the illiterate ones) would be an exception.

But, they didn't take the test. And also, you have to know, these kids are college bound. By the time they took these tests, most may have already known where they were going to school. So, they've had to have been able to comprehend something.

What am I talking about? I think I'm going to post this just to see what the fuck I sound like when I've had too much wine.

*Giggle*

No comments: